cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How are holding tanks plumbed?

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
Need to pull a grey water tank and am wondering how the plumbing works on the top of the tank. Is it a slip fit with gasket or are the drain pipes glued to the tank/fittings. If glued I assume I have to cut the pipes in the trailer and then use an appropriate coupler to rejoin? Any advise or experience is appreciated. Cheers!
5 REPLIES 5

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded my black tank, tank grommet and the idiots slathered it with white dicor mess as well. It may depend on tank material, the grommets are usual with PE tanks, the ABS tanks have spin on fittings if I remember correctly.

I'd say be prepared for anything, including drains plumbed into vent lines...
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is how many RV tanks are connected to the plumbing:Tank Grommet
They do come in other sizes.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every manufacturer is different, but I doubt if it's a slip fit with a gasket. Too great a chance of leaks/odor.

Better plan on cutting the pipe(s).

According to the plumbing diagram from Winnebago, MY rig has one pipe plumbed into the top of the grey tank, the vent pipe. The kitchen sink drain T's into that pipe, and the shower drain T's into the sink's drain pipe before it gets to the vent. (My bathroom sink is plumbed into the black tank.)

Yours may have 1 (plumbed like mine), 2 (vent and sink(s)/shower), 3 (vent, sink(s), shower), or even 4 (vent, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower).
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Most I've seen are glued and screwed.