cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I find the right sized struts to lift van hood?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
People talking about foam pads and bed struts got me thinking y'all might be able to help me with this.

I have trouble lifting, and the van hood is designed for a taller person s the angles are all wrong. I'd like to add gas struts like on a hatchback (but I am talking about the front of the van). There's plenty of room, and they won't get too hot.

I think I need one on each side, because the hood is relatively thin metal and I think it wouldn't like being supported in only one place.

I'd need them to have just the right amount of force, as well as the right length. Too strong = hard to CLOSE the hood (I have that problem with the rear hatch, now that I got new OEM spec struts there).

Hoe would I go about finding the right ones? I'd have to have brackets fabricated, so I don' think I can just try a bunch of different ones and see what works.

Thanks for any advice :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
8 REPLIES 8

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a quick google on "hood gas strut kit" and returned hits on the struts with brackets. I'd do the same search including the model van you have. There's an after market kit for everything!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I don't think they were ever an option on this van.

Those who are saying 'any auto parts store', are you talking about my custom install? Or thinking I am replacing existing parts? (I am not.)
Understood, but thats where you will find them regardless. You already said you need to fab brackets, so now you need to look at length.

HERE is a tutorial to figure out what you need.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
My main problem is how to know the force of gas lifts I am looking at -- and how much I need. Ideas?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
My ignorance may be showing, but I've never seen a van with gas struts on the hood, though that doesn't really mean anything. I would wonder if there is enough length in a van hood to use one, that's a wide swing, heavy load, and short distance front to back to fit a strut.

It's actually a very light load. Eyeballing, I think there is room for the length just fine. The wide swing, I dunno. It
IS big, but looks ok to me.

BTW, if you want to search, they are called gas springs.

Thanks, I had not heard that term before.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think they were ever an option on this van.

Those who are saying 'any auto parts store', are you talking about my custom install? Or thinking I am replacing existing parts? (I am not.)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
My ignorance may be showing, but I've never seen a van with gas struts on the hood, though that doesn't really mean anything. I would wonder if there is enough length in a van hood to use one, that's a wide swing, heavy load, and short distance front to back to fit a strut.

BTW, if you want to search, they are called gas springs.
-- Chris Bryant

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your van, the struts may have been an option or may have come standard on a different trim level. I'd start with the manufacturer. You're right, if you custom make brackets, you lave to take in account all the things you mentioned. And, yes, these are available at any auto parts store.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Off the shelf at Pep Boys
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350