cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do solar panels handle hail?

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm dipping my toe into the solar pool. I am starting with a modest system but a bit concerned about hail. I'm thinking of building some sort of covers to put over them if a hail storm is expected.

Is this necessary or am I worrying about nothing?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB
26 REPLIES 26

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Best read the fine print first and save the ambulance drivers a trip....

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Small hail, no problem
Large hail, insurance

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Are different panels built to different physical strength specs? My panels were rescued from a power station fire years ago. Electrical box on back of one panel is melted but the panel works perfectly. Mine have been under significant snow load, moderate hail, and dropping tree branches with no ill effects. Bird poo and tree sap have been their worst enemy.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This occurred in Alberta, Canada...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

So far as I am aware, there has only been one report of a failed panel on RVnet and that failure was not from hail.

Do remember to install on a 5 degree angle to allow rain to drain off.

hedge wrote:
Is this necessary or am I worrying about nothing?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
we do get some big stuff here, a couple years ago we had a storm that ended up with 3/4 of the city getting new roofs and siding.

it was golf ball+, some as big as baseballs.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Texas the skies always turn to that green look before a hailstorm... Then everyone heads for the safety under an overpass... Sometimes 20-30 cars under one overpass hehe...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hail?

or

HAIL! ?

Pea size hail wouldn't present a problem. Golf ball size hail will not only shatter panel glass it will destroy the substrate beneath. Friends in Iowa sent pictures years ago of hail that ripped shingles off the roof, broke windows on the windward side of their house, ripped trees bare of leaves, and totaled out their one year old car. Sucker looked like it got the mumps.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a photo of a Dallas rooftop covered with solar panels, after a recent (this past May?) hailstorm. The panels looked like a moon surface, with all the craters. What a mess. Maybe some are built with different glass coverings than others?

I always stow my panel if the forecast includes possible hail.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are your chances of being in hail?

You'll likely just end up lugging around rarely-if-ever-used covers. Plus, storms are almost always accompanied by wind, so that's another problem: keeping them on.

If I were ever in such a situation I'd consider tilting my panels to the highest they'll go. Of course I'd have to factor in wind, but I've had them up in some pretty strong winds.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
Most are very hail resistant
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I have had hail damage to the trailer but never one of my panels.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)