cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long should battery minder take, in conditioning mode?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had mine on a 150aH AGM for a couple months now, and it is still blinking.

Battery is not connected to anything else, and was working ok for house loads when I hooked it up, but not recently put to serious test.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
43 REPLIES 43

Gary_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that battery minder manufacturing company also states that that battery minder SHOULD NOT BE USED ON AIRCRAFT BATTERIES. I wonder why ???????

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to be clear, I know nothing about batteries, compared to Mex and landyacht -- so I have no idea if the following is correct. But there is a specific product made for AGMs:

Batteryminder for Sealed AGM

Naio, is your Batteryminder that model, or the generic model used for ordinary wet cells (which is what I have)?

Does anyone know if there are actual engineering studies -- not anecdotes or strongly held opinions -- showing whether the Batteryminders are useful, harmful, or useless for AGMs? Or for wet cells?

I am sure that Mex's exacting battery hygiene practices are very effective. The problem is that for most ordinary RVers, we just don't have the time to groom our batteries with great care. The battery tenders are probably a compromise -- "set it and forget it." The result is shorter battery life, I am sure, but it is better than nothing (I think) . But we have to balance the value of the extra battery life versus the cost of the time and effort to achieve that extra life.

It would be an interesting economic analysis: how much extra life does one achieve with intensive battery care? What is the dollar value of that extra life? How much extra time and effort does that intensive care cost the user? What is the dollar value of that time?

On edit -- I should add that if battery life is a life or death issue (as in submarines), the economic analysis goes out the window. For most of us, it is not as critical. Important, but not all-consuming.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion on the pulse desulfators is that the marketers had a well lubed orgy with the applications engineers and the lawyers with their butt plugs already set deep said go for it and the accountants could only say if it helps the bottom line and the lawyers say were are safe making outrageous claims of magical battery restoration, then a thumbs up from us, when do we get our bonus?

My friend has a battery minder 12248, and I put it on a battery whose capacity had noticeably dropped, for 10 days it sat there happily flashing away indicating it was defying physics with that human soothing flashing green light.

No difference the next discharge. Voltage under load dropped to the same levels as before the 10 days of the magical pulse desulfation. No change at all.

Give a lesser AGM a 29.9% charge rate from 50% a few times and then hold absorption voltage until amps taper to 0.5% of capacity.

For a higher quality AGM, 40% charge rate from 50% charged until 14.4+ volts and then hold until amps taper to 0.5% of capacity.

If that does nothing, then bust out lifelines conditioning procedure and monitor the battery closely for temperature.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some good numbers for you NAIO
But AGM batteries must not be deviated from standard recharge profiles unless they have lost capacity. For normal charging and float maintenance follow th guide below...

There are a lot of different opinions about battery charging and we hope this will help clear up any confusion that our customers have. AGM batteries are still technically a lead acid battery and they charge very similar to a wet cell. Regardless of what some rumors portray, AGM batteries are not as sensitive as once believed. They often get confused with Gel Batteries, which are very sensitive to voltage and they need a special charger. Lifeline AGM batteries can also be equalized to regain capacity if need be (instructions for equalizing is listed below). We also offer very personal service if you would like to reach us by telephone should you have any further questions regarding our batteries.

Battery Charging:

Charge 1 with voltage-regulated (constant potential) charger. The following charging voltages are recommended for maximum battery life.

3 Stage Chargers
Bulk 14.2-14.4 volts
Acceptance 14.2-14.4 volts
Float 13.2-13.3 volts

2 Stage Charger
Bulk 14.2-14.4 volts
Float 13.2-13.3 volts

Single Stage Charger
Bulk 14.2-14.4 volts
Once the battery is fully charged, remove it from charger.

FLOAT 13.3 - 13.4 volts is fine except when the weather is 105F or warmer.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Blinking, growling, flashing, murmuring, strobing, clicking, clacking, smouldering----

Mesmerizing nonsense. NO AGM MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS PULSE CHARGING OF ANY TYPE, EVER.

It serves to fracture gel from the separator packaging.

It's a free society - continue on if you wish - however a highly filtered constant DC source at temperature corrected voltage value is the best maintenance for an AGM battery.

For ANY battery. Apply the same kWh accumulations, pulsed or continuous to a sulfated battery then come show me the difference. P-l-e-a-s-e come show me the difference.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably already know this, but blinking is good -- it means the charger is in "desulphate" mode. I think it gives the battery little pulses that keep the sulphur from sticking to the plates. If there were a constant charge without the pulses, the sulphur would build up. I don't really know the technical details of how this works, but it sure does -- my batteries are lasting much longer than they used to, before I got a BatteryMinder Plus.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have tenders and minders around here. I just plug'm and forget'm. I have voltmeters on all long term charging, when I walk by them, I notice the charging voltage. They all do what their supposed to do, just like the PD converter in the MH.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some of them stay in that mode till disconnected.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Red/Flashing Green says float mode and should be 13.4 volts. batteryminders.com/plus_models.pdf
Sounds like all is good.

Could disconnect overnight and see if it runs up to 14.4 when you plug back in.
It may not and that is probably normal too.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Should have asked this in seven days.

What indicator is blinking what color?
What does the manual say?
What model?

http://www.batteryminders.com/instruction-manuals/

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

I did google after the first few dsys, but saw people talking about multiple weeks so I just let it keep going.

I have model 12117. Red light is solid and green is flashing. I thought it was supposed to stop flashing when done, but the manual seems to indicate there is no change in lights to indicated 'done'. (Does anyone else read it this way?) The manual does say desulfation can take several weeks.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Should have asked this in seven days.

What indicator is blinking what color?
What does the manual say?
What model?

http://www.batteryminders.com/instruction-manuals/

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Is the battery disconnected? It may never float if there is a load on it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about that brand maintainer in particular, but I'd suggest 2 things. 1st - make sure it is rated for AGM batts - yours may require a different output voltage. 2nd - is there any corrosion on how it is connected to the battery? On my Battery Tender brand, blinking red means no connection, solid red charging, solid green charged. Any such guide on yours? ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's