cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many amps does this stereo amp use per hour??

Rynofire
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot for the life of me figure out all this amp stuff. I need to know how many amps this stereo amplifier uses per hour so I can figure out how much solar I need to recharge batteries. It only runs the 2 outside speakers from the battery. It is a Sony Xplod 600 watt amp. 4 channel.
32 REPLIES 32

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Rynofire wrote:
I cannot for the life of me figure out all this amp stuff. I need to know how many amps this stereo amplifier uses per hour so I can figure out how much solar I need to recharge batteries. It only runs the 2 outside speakers from the battery. It is a Sony Xplod 600 watt amp. 4 channel.

it 's called Ohm's Law. amps can be calculated if you know the voltage and watts. The formula for Amps is Watts divided by Volts. in your case 600/115=5.2. there are many online calculators for Ohm's Law.

well "off the batteries" you would be looking more like 48 amps assuming the two speakers could take 600 watts. As it is four channel it is cut in 1/2 assuming it wasn't bridged. There are to many unknowns to get it. An amps probe would answer your question. Of course the simple answer is 600 watts is 600 watts no matter the voltage :R
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
Rynofire wrote:

it 's called Ohm's Law. amps can be calculated if you know the voltage and watts. The formula for Amps is Watts divided by Volts. in your case 600/115=5.2. there are many online calculators for Ohm's Law.

Well, that doesn't really work well with AUDIO stuff unless your are planning to BLAST it at FULL OUTPUT. Not to mention you are assuming 115V AC, Sony Explode is a CAR AMP and will be running from 12V DC..

600W at 12V is 50A but that would be FULL VOLUME.

While that amp may be rated at 600W, in reality you will not ever be using 600W of power. Just ten watts per channel in a 10x20 room will create more than enough volume to cause your ears to ring and after an hr some hearing loss.

Most likely you will only be using MILLIWATTs of power per channel, it does not take a lot of power to get the sound level to a point that you are hearing it at say ten feet unless you are planning on concert sound levels.

What you really need is what the amp draws at NO SIGNAL level, that most likely will be what draws more power in most cases.

Personally, I would skip the 600W amp and use whatever the stereo unit can provide which will be 10W-20W per channel which through most junky RV outside speakers should be more than enough to make the speakers crack. 600W will simply turn those speakers into smoke.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rynofire wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle