cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well good thing i checked but....., DARN!!!!!

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
:M. Cranked up the A/C today, just to make sure all was well... But it wasnt! It runs, blows cold air, BUT... Is making a heck of a noise almost sounds like something in the squirrel cage fan... So up on the roof i go, after taking it apart, and looking at it, checking it, etc.... I turn it back on without the shrounds on either fan and it is still making noise.. Sounds like it is either the motor losing a bearing, or the compressor making a racket.. But either way, i am going to get it fixed before our trip to florida this sept. The unit is the original that came with the coach. A Carrier 15,000 BTU ducted with a remote control unit. I checked and i know they no longer make this unit, but there is a conversion kit for a coleman unit that allows me to keep the original grill, and the remote. YAY!! Better than that is my extended warranty covers the A/C unit (per my paperwork and contract i have on file ) with a $50.00 Deductible :B. ... Now, the bad part is having to try and get a appointment to get the rig in. I bet that they are doing a lot of A/C units seeing how its July..... I wonder how many weeks they are behind.... :h
Proud father of a US Marine
20 REPLIES 20

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I replace my "bad" carrier with a Atwood Air Commander heat pump. The only hard part was getting my son to help me move the new a/c to the roof

Since the carrier had a wireless thermostat. I had to run the new thermostat wire. Somewhat of a problem, but was able to by removing the 1" strip that covered the seams in the ceiling paneling I was able to drill a hole to pass the wire through to the same location as the old thermostat.

The good part, I sold all the good salvageable carrier parts on eBay so the new A/C only cost me about $100.00.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm now leaning towards just getting a new unit.. Called and made an appointment at the RV dealer I bought the RV at. Called my warranty company, they confirmed that they know they stopped making the unit, and that they would cover the new unit and the conversion kit in full less my $50.00 ded

I guess it makes more sense to get a new unit for $50.00 than throw parts that may cost that much and still have a 11 year old unit

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm,

You are a good man!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Had that happen to a neighbor across the road from me in a campground,, Late Friday.. I helped him remove the inner cover over the blower and he found the hub was cracked and the thing was ratteling like you'd not believe.

now 1: Carrier (A Trump corporation) is no longer making RV A/Cs thankfully the blower is a more or less standard 3rd party item

2; Over an hour to the nesrest Camigng world from where he was parked and that mens no way is he getting to a parts store before closing

3: IT WAS HOT!!

So where is he getting a replacement? My basement of course, I kept the spare parts when I replaced my 1st carrier.

I have since replaced my 2nd carrier

Parts are yours if you are in the Flint, or St. Clair (next week Michigan.

Thanks for the offer. But we wont be close to MI till next year sometime. I did notice just now some wiggle on the squirrel cage fan, and the screw/ bolt that holds it on is tight with some sort of a dried blue liquid on it. ( im guessing some sort of thread locker). But the fan itself shows no signs of any cracking. And the wiggle is coming from the part of the fan that attaches to the shaft of the motor. How much for the squirrel cage? :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had that happen to a neighbor across the road from me in a campground,, Late Friday.. I helped him remove the inner cover over the blower and he found the hub was cracked and the thing was ratteling like you'd not believe.

now 1: Carrier (A Trump corporation) is no longer making RV A/Cs thankfully the blower is a more or less standard 3rd party item

2; Over an hour to the nesrest Camigng world from where he was parked and that mens no way is he getting to a parts store before closing

3: IT WAS HOT!!

So where is he getting a replacement? My basement of course, I kept the spare parts when I replaced my 1st carrier.

I have since replaced my 2nd carrier

Parts are yours if you are in the Flint, or St. Clair (next week Michigan.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
2112 wrote:
My last fan motor lasted only four years before the bearings started to fail. It does make a heck of a racket. I replaced it a few months ago in about an hour. You had the cover removed so you were six screws away from having the motor removed.

The motor itself cost me $110. I also had to acquire a long hex T-bar to loosen the squirrel cage set screw.

This unit, is ridiculously easy to work on. I could take the motor out within 10 mins. The hardest part is undoing all the **** screws holding the cover on! I think there is at least 15 of them holding that one. But, i havent found a replacement motor online yet. At least not one branded "carrier airv replacement blower motor"

I provided my local RV sales/service/parts dealer with the AC model#. He looked it up and had the proper motor in stock.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
My last fan motor lasted only four years before the bearings started to fail. It does make a heck of a racket. I replaced it a few months ago in about an hour. You had the cover removed so you were six screws away from having the motor removed.

The motor itself cost me $110. I also had to acquire a long hex T-bar to loosen the squirrel cage set screw.

This unit, is ridiculously easy to work on. I could take the motor out within 10 mins. The hardest part is undoing all the **** screws holding the cover on! I think there is at least 15 of them holding that one. But, i havent found a replacement motor online yet. At least not one branded "carrier airv replacement blower motor"

Explorer II
Explorer II

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Small update, I checked again and the noise is there without the compressor being on, so it's the motor

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I got ahead of myself so this is edited.
The inside blower may be a squirrel blower.
When ours unit stopped working the fan inside still blew but at low volume. When it finally locked up the capacitor made a lot of noise trying to start the unit before stopping.
The inside fan made no noise to be noticed.
So tun only the fan on. If it blows then your problem may be with the unit cooling fan as described below, in the roof unit.

The cooling unit fan has a large flat fiberglass reinforced disc with blades at the end on a vertical shaft.
Ours began making more noise than usual when we pulled out early last month.
Sounded like something was (in the squirrel cage)when starting and then a good bit of the time. Finally it ad a heck of noise and we thought the ac had seized up and a new one was going to have to be installed.
In Shawnee Coleman was there and when we told them what happened they were on the roof and pulled it apart. The fan had slid down the shaft after 13 years and ground itself into the base pan and locked it self up. They replaced the fan blade/disc and put an extra set screw below it, in the shaft. It won't come loose again.
Now your problem may be entirely different but this is a possibility.
He said the Ac units themselves very seldom go bad.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Check to make sure the squirrel cage fan is tight on the shaft. I had a squirrel cage that broke loose from it's mounting on my home furnace. Thought it was a bad motor capacitor. When the motor got up to speed the cage could not and it made a he11 of a racket.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
As Mandalay Parr says try the fan only and if noise persists, try the compressor without the fan. That is, unless you're dead set on buying a new unit and don't care about spending the money.
didn't check without the compressor off, but I figure with a 50.00 ded, and because they don't make the unit any longer. I'm figuring they will just replace the unit, which is fine with me. I would rather have a new one than a 11 year old one

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Kudos for using your noodle ๐Ÿ™‚

The Average Trip Pep Sequence

A) Load food
b) Clothing
c) Accessories
d) Throw brains in closet
e) Run out front door and jump in driver's set

Thanks.. I believe that luck favors the prepared.... I'm always going over stuff in and on the RV... It's my second wife... And just as expensive

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
As Mandalay Parr says try the fan only and if noise persists, try the compressor without the fan. That is, unless you're dead set on buying a new unit and don't care about spending the money.