cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much grease for wheel bearings?

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I have run into this problem more then once over the years with boat and camping trailers. Over greasing zerk fitting on wheels and pushing grease through the seals and getting grease into brakes.

I purchase wheel bearing grease in tubes for my grease gun and I am just putting in a couple pumps in maybe every 1000 miles.

Wondering how much and how often is the right amount for greasing wheel bearings? Am I putting in to little or to much? Wondering what others are doing to keep things greased up good with out over doing it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Bob
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition
37 REPLIES 37

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Over greasing a bearing will make run hot.
Best to fill the bearing 1/3 full.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every time I change the oil (aka every 5000 miles), every zerk gets 1 pump only.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Boat trailer bearings need frequent greasing because they get immersed in water, and if they're hot, they can suck water past the seals. On a TT this is not an issue. I grease mine manually each spring when I inspect the brakes.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you have the EZ Lube hubs, the zerk is there to purge the bearings and hub of old grease and replace it with new grease. BUT. You must do it correctly. And that means using a hand pump and pumping the grease very slowly while continuously turning the wheel. The grease is ported behind the inner bearing, then flows thru that bearing as it is turning, thru the hub, thru the outer bearing, and out the front of the hub around the zerk. That pushes all the old grease out. When you see new grease coming out the front you know all the old grease has been replaced. If you pump too hard or don't turn the wheel the pressure may push grease past the seal.

A pump or two does nothing toward getting new grease to the outer bearing. It takes a lot of grease to do it correctly.

Google ezlube for videos and how-to information if that is what you have.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Greasing wheel bearings every 1,000 miles is way too often. The grease isn't going anywhere so it doesn't need to be replaced. If the bearing cavity is full and the bearings full of grease you should be good for a long time.

Bingo. That is like saying every 1000 miles I put a qt of oil in the engine. Unless you have a PROBLEM, there is no need to pump grease into the bearings. Remember, over filling will usually cause the grease(excess) to flow inside to the brake area, not just show outside where you can see it. Doug

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Greasing wheel bearings every 1,000 miles is way too often. The grease isn't going anywhere so it doesn't need to be replaced. If the bearing cavity is full and the bearings full of grease you should be good for a long time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob,

If you have the spring loaded Bearing Buddies, then only pump in grease until the spring is compressed.

If all you have is grease caps with Zerks, then it is anybody's guess. Yes, you can blow out the grease seals with a grease gun.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
None through the zerk is best IMO.

If properly greased and adjusted at the last service the grease will last just fine until the next service.