cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove Dicor for new AC install??

js415
Explorer
Explorer
I started on my project today of installing a second AC unit in my trailer.

I removed the vent from inside, and then started on the outside section. I removed all the Dicor that was present on the flange, and then removed the 28 screws holding the vent in place.

Very slowly, I used a plastic putty knife and worked it under the flange and outside edges of the Dicor sealant. In about an hour I had the entire assembly off, with no rips or tears.

Now I need to figure out how to smooth out the roof where the leftover Dicor is. My plan was to smooth the perimeter area out, cover the perimeter with 4" Eternabond tape, and then set the new AC unit over the opening.

The remaining Dicor is really a mess. I used the putty knife and worked off as much as I could, but it is nowhere as smooth as I think it should be, in order to lay the Eternabond tape down.

Is there a secret to removing the leftover Dicor? I even thought about cutting the roof material away at the edge of the Dicor, then sealing the roof back up with the Eternabond. Will the Eternabond stick to the plywood roof? I really hate the idea of cutting the roof material, but I really need a smooth surface to sit the AC unit on.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry
7 REPLIES 7

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Going to use a.c. gasket? I would keep getting off Dicor. Get as flat as you can so gasket lays flat as possible.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Oscillating blade designed for caulk removal. Should work on any oscillating tool. I use on my rubber roof and it is effective and won't damage the roof.
Kevin

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Second (or third) the heat gun recommendation. I use a metal putty knife and heat it with the heat gun. Be careful of the edges and corners. I don't put the hot knife on the roof, leave a very thin layer of sealant.

Take your time, small sections at a time.

Good luck!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Use a heat gun on low to soften the Dicor and your plastic putty knife.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Some heat will help.
If you don't already have one, a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight will make it much more pliable.

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
mineral spirits and putty knife......

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond sticks to everything.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE