cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Leak?

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed one my my wheels has “gunk” all over it. The cap on the end is missing (already ordered a replacement). But, I’ve never dealt with this sort of thing before.

Do I need to add more grease?

Thanks

2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"
19 REPLIES 19

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
mapguy wrote:
mrgrim007 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
ChuckSteed wrote:
you need to take your RV to a qualified place

Do not take the RV anywhere till you have jacked up that wheel and checked for excessive play and roughness. If you find that, have it repaired on the spot.

If you would have removed the wheel and pried off the hub cap, it wouldn't have been damaged so much.

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m going to leave it where it’s at (next to my house) and inspect it there. I picked up some red grease from HD. I’m not sure how to tell if anything is bad and needs replacing, but I’ll Google it or post back here with more questions.

Hopefully, the red grease you mention is Lucas Red-n-Tacky. If so -that is a great grease for trailer wheel bearings.

It’s not Lucas, but looks about the same. It’s “B’laster Extra Tacky Red Grease”. Says it’s High Temp, Anti-Seize, Extreme Pressure.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
mrgrim007 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
ChuckSteed wrote:

Do not take the RV anywhere till you have jacked up that wheel and checked for excessive play and roughness. If you find that, have it repaired on the spot.

If you would have removed the wheel and pried off the hub cap, it wouldn't have been damaged so much.

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m going to leave it where it’s at (next to my house) and inspect it there. I picked up some red grease from HD. I’m not sure how to tell if anything is bad and needs replacing, but I’ll Google it or post back here with more questions.

Hopefully, the red grease you mention is Lucas Red-n-Tacky. If so -that is a great grease for trailer wheel bearings.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fulltimer50 wrote:
I would like to know how you people can say anything about the bearings from the pictures shown.
Yeah me too. It's very likely with the hole in the rubber cover that water has gotten in there and washed some grease out onto the wheel. I would definitely replace the rubber cover and check out the condition of the bearings. It's possible, albeit unlikely, that the bearings have gotten hot and liquefied enough grease to run out and coat the wheel. Whatever the problem, deeper investigation is in order.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ChuckSteed wrote:

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckSteed wrote:

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
That metallic color looks like a serious problem.
Looks like specular highlights in a flash picture to me. But I won't assume. The OP can tell us if it's metal.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know how you people can say anything about the bearings from the pictures shown.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
I’d say the bearings haven’t had any grease in a long t8me and it looks like it’s been overheated... and don’t use the EZ lube feature now...you need to take your RV to a qualified place to remove, clean, inspect r@ces, bearings, and brakes... and most likely this is not in your wheel house

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
looks like someone hacked a hole in the outer cover/seal to get to the grease zerk?

Are the other wheels in the same shape with the hole in the cover/seal?

You need to yank that puppy apart and bring it up to spec and install a new boot.

I don't know what the deal was but i had a fifth wheel that someone did that to the cover. It turned out to be OK, but you never know.

BTW, I just wandered into s trailer shop and they had oodles of those seals in stock in various sizes.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mrgrim007 wrote:
Took the cap off and this is what I found:

That metallic color looks like a serious problem. Unless a grease with an ingredient causing the color was used, the bearings have failed.

Just do a complete cleaning, inspection and repair as needed. These things need to be serviced the day they are purchased and regularly thereafter. Consider using quality bearings such as Timken.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and use a high temp grease.

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have two or more different types of grease in your hub that are not compatible with each other. The grease tends to liquify and leak. Try cleaning out all the old grease and repack your bearings.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty common for it to leak out around the edge of the dust cap. I always run 3-4 layers of electrical tape around the seam after cleaning it well. You could run a bead of caulk instead.

I suppose it could come out of the hole with the bad plug, but that's unlikely unless it's overfilled with grease. The grease would need to overcome centripetal force to do that. And it didn't, looking at the pictures. It would let dirt in, though.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Took the cap off and this is what I found: