cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Humming Noise in Electrical Cable Area

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
I am hearing a humming noise in the compartment that stores my 50 amp cable and it's reel. I unplugged from shore power and the noise is still there. You can hear it from inside the bedroom. My coach is a 2004 Dutch Star. Any ideas what this is ? Normal ? Thanks.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
6 REPLIES 6

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
do a search for ATS (automatic Transfer switch) humming, lot of info on the forum about this. possibly your issue.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a generator then I'm sure its the transfer switch (gen/shore switch) making a humming noise. Pretty common for some transfer switch models. Sometimes you can take the contact points apart and clean them up to see if that helps (power off obviously) or look for a better model less likely to hum.

kiwiiam
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Dutch Star for a few years, I had similar, It was the Power Converter/charger - that rig has a seperate Inverter/Batt Charger. The Charger was in a compartment under the bedroom slide. The fan was going and making a noise - I replaced the charger.
Kiwiiam
Elipse
Silverado

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fan on converter trying to cool it down, Fan is a 12 volt device.

Crickets
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect Switch? Neighbors Jayco has a relay disconnect switch.Needs power to hold it closed. Quite (no power) when off.Should have been a latching relay so power is only needed to make the switch. Don"t know if that is what you are hearing though

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Possible the Converter Fan is running which will run even after 120 disconnected until the converter cools down. If you have an Inverter/Charger, you will not have a Converter. The standard Converter is in the shore cord Compartment on a Newmar. The optional Inverter is on the Passenger side. On your Newmar in that compartment you have
The Transfer box
The Converter/s if you have them, your model may have 2 converters
The Power Cord reel
The BIRD control relay(this will not make any noise)
The Emergency Start solenoid
The Battery disconnect Solenoid Doug