cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm guessing an A/B/Both battery selector sw is okay?

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Just added two new T 105's in preparation for adding an inverter and eventually solar. The original two 105's are 3 years old and are in perfect shape, from what I have read mixing the 4 in a series parallel combo isn't the best way to go.

I'm thinking if I keep the sets together and use a marine a/b/both selector switch I can charge each set individually then combine them when I'm running the inverter to get maximum amps....I know its a little more work to keep track of the charging but it will keep my mind sharp:-)

Any problems with this?

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
11 REPLIES 11

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I am using 2 banks with even larger batteries and all the same age, just so I can top off one pair while the second is in use.

And one certainty is that eventually 1 battery WILL fail. When that happens, do you want it paralleled with a good one and no switch?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally.. I would use the Marine switch but leave it in the "BOTH" position all the time less one of the batteries failed (Which will happen) then isolate that bank till you can get replacements.
NOTE: Given the age of your "OLD" batteries, it's a coin toss as to which bank will fail first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Fine, switching tween the 2 banks, but I wouldn't.
But I love simplicity, which will not sacrifice longevity in my experience.

I think Mr Wizard got his threads mixed ๐Ÿ™‚

Agreed.

Getting back to my setup, mixing old and new batteries, separate banks are the best way to mix them without downgrading the new batteries charging capabilities.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Fine, switching tween the 2 banks, but I wouldn't.
But I love simplicity, which will not sacrifice longevity in my experience.

I think Mr Wizard got his threads mixed ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB,

The top diagram using 2 pair of 105's is exactly how I plan on doing it.

Nice to see such a clear picture, worth a thousand words.

Thanks

Ron W..
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is one way to control two or four T105 6VDC batteries...

There is no real benefit of use a OFF-BAT1-BOTH-BAT2 four way switch for just two T105 6VDC batteries in series... Only ON-OFF like this setup maybe... The BAT2 side would be left for future expansion for two more 6VDC batteries in series...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr Wizard,

Then, why is he talking about powering an inverter from a battery bank?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I'g go for the Blue seas switches as they are rated for higher amperages and have long Thick studs for many ring terminals. Helps to use them as Positive Buses for power distribution.

Lots of people freak out over the use of a manual switch. I've been using them for 13 years and have never suffered a No start from having forgot to turn it when needed, but perhaps a younger person who is used to everything being automatic and idiot proof would have an issue

MrWizard
PT
He going to switch, COAX CABLE from satellite dish
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I used two perko switches That way I can power the inverter from either bank, or both. Cost is $7 from Napa Auto.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141