cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want to add a hot water recirc line to my trailer

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
My wife runs the water in the sink until she gets hot water. When dry camping, that wastes a lot of water. I want to run a recirc line by cutting into my hot water line at the farthest point from the hot water heater, put a tee on it and have a switched valved that when turned on, opens and recircs the cold (but warming) water back into the fresh water tank. Does someone make a bulkhead fitting that you can use to insert from the outside and screw it tight from the outside to keep it from leaking? Since you cannot reach into those tanks, there is no way for you to hold a nut tight on the inside. I thought I searched on the net and found one, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. Any ideas?
33 REPLIES 33

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Also, another answer to the first question: I am not so much concerned about wasting the water as I am concerned about filling my grey tank with clean water. I want to extend my stay as long as possible. We went out a couple of weeks ago for 2 days, drycamping and she almost filled the grey tank with water she was running waiting for the hot to flow. Why waste the storage space?

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
First Question: when I am boondocking, that water faucet isn't always nearby.

Second Question: by opening the tee'd valve on the hot water line, it is no different than using the hot water in the shower, only the cold water in the hot water line is being evacuated into the cold water tank. I would leave the valve open for maybe 20 seconds so the hot water has a chance to refill the line up to the tee, and then I would turn it off.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
How will you get the hot water to flow? The water heater and the furthest point in the water line are at the same pressure. It's only when a faucet is,opened that flow takes place...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad