cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter noise ?

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Got the 750 watt MSW Black and Decker inverter wired up today. AS soon as I turned it on the fans popped on for a couple seconds then shut down, I then heard a hum beep noise, at first I was thinking it was an alarm but from the instructions there appears to be no peep alarms just lights. Light was green which is good. Inverter ran the TV and DVD player just fine though as soon as I turn on the TV the inverter fan kicks right on. Is this normal or is it just because I have such a high quality unit?

Thanks Jim S.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.
9 REPLIES 9

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Extra 4 gauge wire I had around, running about 6 foot from 2 group 24's.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 2oldman,

Muddy's unit is most likely a Xantrex rebranded unit. Not bad, quality wise.

Muddy, How are you "feeding" the inverter?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
10-2 extension cord plunged into the inverter and wired into a house plug, then another 5 foot piece of 10-2 Romex to make a run from the first plug behind a cabinet to another plug to powder the DVD player. You would think they would have put the DVD player closer to the TV. I used a heavy outdoor extension cord because the cord is run under the trailer for most of its length. It took all of the 25 foot extension cord to run from the inverter, under the trailer and up the frig vent.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Muddydogs wrote:
Is this normal or is it just because I have such a high quality unit?
That's a joke, right?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guessing you observed what is called POST (Short for Power On Self Test) and the Green light and operational TV mean: Successful POST.

A Bad Post gets you a RED light at the minimum and NO TV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Muddy,

How are you getting the power from the inverter to the television?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
TV came with the new trailer last year so no more than a couple years old.

The inverter is a few years old, maybe 5 or more. I am not sure when, why or where I acquired it anymore. Knew I had one so I went digging through some stuff and sure enough there was this brand new 5+ year old inverter. Only reason I even hooked it up is to keep grand kids entertained when we do a night or two of parking lot camping during our travels. When running the TV has a great picture and the audio is clear.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Muddy,

How old is the TV?
Regards, Don

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It is probably normal. You could try to contact B&D to see what the fan limit is set at but if the fan isn't noisy, it might be just something to live with.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton