cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there any good reason for this???

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
It was really bothering me that in me new fifth wheel I could not figure out how my house batteries got their power to the distribution center. I see 8 gauge wire going into my power distribution panel however I donโ€™t see a corresponding 8 gauge wire going from my front compartment back that direction. There are two circuit breakers on the wall in my battery area I traced most of them. The only 8 gauge wire that loooked right went up into the front cap. Low and behold after opening a junction box up behind the pin box I find the wire (8gauge) goes from the battery to a cut off switch to a auto resetting breaker, all the way up to the pin box through another breaker, jointed with the biggest wire nut Iโ€™ve ever seen to the 12 volt wire from the vehicle plug and another 8 gauge wire which ultimately makes its way back down through the battery area down the frame and into the power distribution center. Is there any good reason why they would do this? I notice my converter never goes into float mode and I wonder if this extra 10 feet of cabling could be contributing to it not sensing right. Any thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't expect competency from an unregulated industry.
Puma 30RKSS

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I think I see the issue here.

Battery--8ga wire---Breaker---12 ga wire

The O/P is concerened that the wire shrinks.

Not a concern. the breaker is, I assume the proper size to protect the 12ga wire...

Itโ€™s more of a question of why would they make the house battery power feed go all the way up into the pin box before going back into the coach. Why not have A wire to the battery from the tow connector and a wire from the power distribution box to the battery? I understand the breaker placement you put them close as possible to the power source on either end. Just wondering if I should cut the long line that goes from the pin box to the converter and connect it to the battery effectively removing about ten feet of cable. The charge circuit will still be in tact from the tow connector.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I see the issue here.

Battery--8ga wire---Breaker---12 ga wire

The O/P is concerened that the wire shrinks.

Not a concern. the breaker is, I assume the proper size to protect the 12ga wire...
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
No reason. As Napoleon said, "Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence."
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no requirement for good wiring or a good charger. The only requirement is cheap and last past the warranty.

Sure it can be your wiring or the charger, perhaps both. You may not even have a battery charger but rather a basic constant voltage converter.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I visited several RV manufacturers 30 years ago and gagged. There was usually one individual in charge of electrical design. You don't want to know the rest.