cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just a handy hint re battery maintenance

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The other day I noticed my negative battery cable connection on the battery terminal was showing a little verdigris and promptly removed the ground cable and cleaned it. I washed the tops of the batteries and all the terminals with a solution of water and baking soda, rinsed and dried with a low pressure high volume blower. Everything looked good but I noticed some dust I had missed and thought that I would mix up some soda and water and using a large trigger sprayer sprayed the batteries. I found a couple of spots that weren't quite clean and finished cleaning and drying.

The spray in a medium stream will get into some of those ridicules corners that a paintbrush misses. As an extra benefit, the stream will also dislodge the dust and dried acid.

Now I know I had acid around only one cap and on only the adjacent terminal. Gives me something to look at in the future.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
1 REPLY 1

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
We are cleaning up ours and running three 24 hour Desulf cycles on our batteries with the B&D chargers to help them make it through the winter better.