cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest refrigerator replacement for Norcold 1200?

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
I know that there are already a number of threads dealing with replacing a Norcold 1200 with a domestic refrigerator, but with refrigerator models constantly changing, I wanted to ask:

Is there a top freezer, bottom fridge model available at this time that works well in the Norcold 1200 space.

We like the top freezer configuration because the refrigerator will be about 15" off the floor, above a drawer.

We would prefer NOT to have a four door or French door model. Our preference is for one single refrigerator door at the bottom and one single freezer door at the top.

We are also looking for a unit with icemaker and water dispensing.

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ivylog, the 21 cuft Whirlpool seems to have been the unit of choice for most people for the past few years.

I have a 5th wheel trailer and had no problem taking the Norcold out the entry door. Also had no problem bringing in a temporary 16 cuft fridge. Based on the Whirlpool measurements, if I remove the doors there should be no problem getting it through the entry door.

If there are any other fridge suggestions we're still interested in looking at all options.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed a 21 cuft Whirlpool that came within 1/2" of height of fitting and matches your requirements. DW wanted to save the drawer below and here is my DIY installation. My mistake was not getting rid of the NoCold 1200 sooner. You may have to take a window out to get it in.

If the DW is short getting things out of the back of the freezer maybe a problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Nutinelse2do for that fridge suggestion. Our space is 32" wide so we were hoping to find something a bit wider, and more cu. ft than the fridge you've suggested, but it's an alternative for us to keep in mind. The height is perfect.

And RL S7201, I got very excited at first when I clicked the link to that Dometic site. At first glance it looked like Dometic has gotten the message that absorbtion refrigerators are way too expensive and not very efficient, so they are getting in to the compressor fridge as an option. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the "compressor" option for the fridge choices they had only ONE to offer, and that was a small drawer.

So the hunt continues.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Go here enter the necessary information on the left.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We just replaced our Norcold 1200 with this.

It has the option of an icemaker. I don't believe a top freezer will come with the through the door water dispensing, but I could be incorrect. We got it on a Black Friday sale for about $40.00 less.

Cost $500.00 to have installed, and fits the spot very nicely. We did have to do some side trim work, but it was pretty easy.

Might want to go to Lowes/ Menards/ Home Depot and do some looking and measuring. That was the only way we found one to fit, that I liked. I wanted the same specs, no french door, no bottom freezer. We didn't get an icemaker though. It draws too much power for boondocking.

Pm me if you want a pic of the finished product.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us