cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving rv plugged into 120v to run convertor

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my rv plugged into 120 v all the time that it's stored so that the Charge Wizard will maintain the charge on the house batteries. Is that not a good idea and am I wearing out the convertor?
21 REPLIES 21

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
oilcan wrote:
How can I tell if I have a charge wizard ?? I have a '94 Damon C class and am worried that if I leave it plugged into shore it will shorten the life of my battery.

Find your converter and then find the model number.........unless your converter has been changed out......a 1994 RV would not have a charge wizard........

If you have a Progressive Dynamics(PD) converter then you probably have a PD-9055.......this model does not support the charge wizard........

A 9160 or a 9260 is charge wizard capable.......
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

oilcan
Explorer
Explorer
How can I tell if I have a charge wizard ?? I have a '94 Damon C class and am worried that if I leave it plugged into shore it will shorten the life of my battery.
1994 Damon Ultrasport C class

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's responses. I won't worry about the converter anymore.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our 96 Southwind is plugged in to shore power 24/7 when is's parked.
The batteries are old (not original) but working great. Apparently the Charge Wizard is doing it's job.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been doing that for over 10 years........I leave the refer on too.......have not turned it off for that same time span......my now 10 year old T-105 Trojans still hold a charge and I can still dry camp for a week with minimal generator time........ the charge wizard is the key!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My two trailers here in my backyard are plugged into 120VAC 24/7 when not on the road. The only concern I can think of if you DO NOT have smart-mode charging technology CONVERTER/CHARGER unit then you must keep a watchful eye on your battery fluids. A single mode charging converter/charger may boil out your battery fluids after being "ON" for a long time period which will destroy your battery.

Of course we spend alot of time in our parked trailers - even spend the night here and there. Use the fridge in the big trailer to support the house fridge. Watch HDTV in it alot to just get away form the house.

I'm always working on the OFF-ROAD POPUP making things better for camping off the power grids trips...

Having working RV trailer system at your camp back yard location is great to have when the power goes off for a week when a bad boy storm knocks out the power in the county for a week or so... We never miss a beat and have block parties all week long with the neighbors.

If they were in just storage mode I probably would just remove the batteries and let'm sit.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing that for the last 7 years, our 05 is still going strong on original batteries.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3