cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED flicker part deux

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Had a long going post about my new LED fixture with ripples when on gen or shore power. Worked fine on 12v. Got new PD 4645 in and installed today. Light works fine now. Any body need a 10000 uF capacitor?
4 REPLIES 4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Me!

The cap does a lot more than cure a flickering light. Myself, I am not into failed refrigerator, hot water, heater, and power supply failures.

Don't believe transients happen? Do the finger on the starter solenoid test. To each his own. I'm too cheap to let ---- happen.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
Don't know if this was mentioned before. I did LED conversion about three years ago so we had LOTS of hours on them. LED's typically do not fail like regular bulbs. Most likely they will start to flicker - but only in small segments - typically three leds. It is not necessary to replace them until the flicker is bad enough to bother you. I usually moved a failing one to a seldom used spot - like porch light until I got around to ordering more. Early failures usually attributed to poor/cheep design. Most are OK and have long life at 12V but some just won't last long at 14V.

I have seen some of these failures. My analysis has shown the failure to be the connection between the panel and the LED, not the LED itself. They fail in groups off 3 because the LEDs are usually connected with 3 in series with a current limiting resistor.

If they fail at higher voltages its probably due to the increased heat that causes the connection to fail earlier.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this was mentioned before. I did LED conversion about three years ago so we had LOTS of hours on them. LED's typically do not fail like regular bulbs. Most likely they will start to flicker - but only in small segments - typically three leds. It is not necessary to replace them until the flicker is bad enough to bother you. I usually moved a failing one to a seldom used spot - like porch light until I got around to ordering more. Early failures usually attributed to poor/cheep design. Most are OK and have long life at 12V but some just won't last long at 14V.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Much like you I had a AC ripple issue just last month. The eye brown lights on the refrig flickered. I thought...oh..oh.....what's this all about. After doing some Google research and calling Dometic I was able to believe a new 12v converter was needed. Installed the PD 4645 and all has been good since. Click here to cross reference my posting from last month.