cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have flickering lights? Maybe this is why...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two LED recessed puck lights in our slide and the switch was on the ceiling and hard to reach when sitting down. The lights have flickered since the TT was purchased new - sometimes not much, and sometimes more. Very annoying and I expected that the lights were defective and needed replacing. Definitely not the converter as no other lights did this and last year we replaced the WFCO with a quality PD unit (the WFCO had failed). I just added a 3-way (aka on/on) switch at each end of the sofa.

When I removed the switch wires from the hole in the ceiling, one wire came out of the female crimp spade terminal. Then the same thing happened to the 2nd terminal. What I found was that whoever did the crimping at the factory used the crimper on the end of the plastic insulation where there is no part of the metal sleeve underneath. Not only that, when the worker stripped the insulation off the end of the wire, he/she removed about 1/2 of the individual strands and thus making for an even worse connection to the terminal.

So, if you have flickering lights somewhere, before blaming faulty lights or converter, you might consider the possibility of a bad wiring job by the factory. I have found so many 12 and 120 volt problems, it's ridiculous and now on our 4th season of our KZ TT I am still finding significant issues. This is inexcusable and speaks to the lack of quality control and training at the factory.

Oh, and the lights no longer flicker, yay!!

6 REPLIES 6

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
One of my electric brakes didn't work and I found that the wire wasn't even stripped. Same factory that produced the OP's problem. Of course the Pennsylvania State Inspection didn't find the problem as well.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing unusual. I found a 12 volt bus bar that had a number of common, or negative leads connected to it. EVERY NUT was just finger tight! It was under a drawer. Fed the light over the sink, pump switch and furnace on the full wall slide!
I also occasionally check all connections behind the A.C. panel. Once found a common lead on the buss bar loose and starting to overheat and discolor.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
My own brand new trailer also proves in the RV industry you certainly do NOT get what you pay for.

Will check my bathroom light tomorrow, it flickers also.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
Amish electrician.........
2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Definite need for a return to vocational education in our country.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you found it. That would drive me crazy!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman