cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lifepo4 float setting?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had to deal with a float setting so far with PWM controllers but I have a Victron 75/15 coming tomorrow and reading up on the settings,it is confusing especially the float setting..Some say float will shorten the life of a LFP battery and others say hogwash..

Float at what setting for a 100ah LFP battery that settles at 3.3+..?

Any input welcome...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
125 REPLIES 125

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
BFL13 wrote:
StirCrazy if your claim is that the Solacity guy's info is just a sales pitch with wrong info about LFPs, it is your job to provide links to the correct, more credible, version of that information to prove your claim.

So let's see some graphs and tables you LFP guys have made from your measurements and indicate how you got those numbers so they can be peer reviewed here by guys who can see if your results are credible.

I never mentioned any spicific vendor, and like I said a lot are getting better now. would be nice if you included the original quote in your replies so the whole context is there.

and you'll never see me make a graph on the preformance of my GC2 batteries or My LiFePO4 bank as I just don't care enough to get that geeked out on them. I don't need a graph to tell me that just switching the batteries and profiles on my charger cut two hours off a 100% charge that used to take 6 hours. they work, I know how and thats whats important. I don't play around with partial charges, I charge to 100% then float at 13.6, when there is a float. when I come home I run them down to under 90% and unplug them... I figure i'll die before they do, or at least I won't be able to rv anymore by then so I don't care about getting 8000 cycles instead of the 3500.

incase you haven't noticed the only time I realy post on them anymore is when some one is trying to use false/misleading information about them. and even now I am realy starting not to car anymore... maybe everyone should go out and buy a SiO2 that has one good quality... cold weather chrging........

I don't mind reading your posts, your actualy trying to learn as aposed to someone else, I just see you getting overly focused on things that in the end doesnt matter to the average user, but I see what your trying to learn.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
It would be interesting to see the results of such (both pro and con), no doubt SiO2 remain a viable choice for manyโ€ฆ

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BFL13

Try a search from google (example)

sio2 bfl13 goodsam
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, a new thread would be idealโ€ฆ

3 tons

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
Not to be naggy, but (since SiO2โ€™s have already been mentionedโ€ฆ), I wonder if BFL may have done some similar extensive โ€˜nuts & boltsโ€™ bench-top vetting of his SiO2 (with BFL, highly likely!), and if so, perhaps he might be willing to share his findings with us??โ€ฆNothing wrong with asking I hope, and may serve well to refute a few SiO2 misnomersโ€ฆ.Just a random thoughtโ€ฆ

3 tons

Did that around Nov 2020 and later. I can't work the archives with any luck, but you can try.

Not for this thread though!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be naggy, but (since SiO2โ€™s have already been mentionedโ€ฆ), I wonder if BFL may have done some similar extensive โ€˜nuts & boltsโ€™ bench-top vetting of his SiO2 (with BFL, highly likely!), and if so, perhaps he might be willing to share his findings with us??โ€ฆNothing wrong with asking I hope, and may serve well to refute a few SiO2 misnomersโ€ฆ.Just a random thoughtโ€ฆ

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
As a practical matter, looong running LFP personal testaments and anecdote's are no substitute for extensive bench testing, therefore I believe the only possible way satisfy BFLโ€™s thirst at nuance (based on past threads and continuously evolving goal post - IMOโ€ฆ), may be for him to obtain his own LFP and conduct his own extensive test regiment and report back*โ€ฆ However, I presume that soliciting funds to this end is against forum rulesโ€ฆ

*(hopefully improved over the Vector-dueling charge controller testโ€ฆ)

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFL said, โ€œ I am still getting abuse from 3-tonsโ€ฆ Meanwhile he just used the Solacity guy as a reference in a recent post in this thread (13 May at 0732), and then when after that, I used the Solacity guy as a ref, he said that guy is not to be believed! Makes you laugh.โ€

True enough - My bad, I didnโ€™t mean in any way to discredit Solacityโ€™s info, I was only pointing to oneโ€™s lack of hands-on LFP evaluationsโ€ฆIn my view, theory IS important, but Hands-on often trumps the theoretical, and to BFL (and others), therein lies my distress โ€ฆSorry for any unintentional keyboard confusionโ€ฆ

3 tons

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
That's because I'm living off my system and don't have the time to be a weekend worrior scientist making graphs, there is recorded data that time after time shows the same thing after 6 years of everyday use and many cycles in whatever SOC using high draw item for long periods. It works what I'm doing.

I find these threads amusing when everyone is bringing in different beliefs from different websites or blogs or sales page's.

I know one thing for sure, right or wrong, which I believe is good enough for "my" prupose of living off of solar/ lfp batteries with solar being the main charging source. 14.1v absorb 10 minutes tops but 6 minutes is usally when it switches to flaot at 13.6v. I have constant draws of 2ah from inverter (never turned off) and a humidifier 7ah on 24/7, total of 9ah always drawing then add in all the other comforts of life. I donโ€™t scimp on power, some might even say wasteful but it's there to waste without worry. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pretty much..Even though I am not living off grid as I did for years in fifth wheels/motorhomes and travel trailers now,I run my TC 24/7 as if I was using battery power and solar connected to two 12v compressor fridges and occasional microwave use and lot's of TV/DVD use..

The reason for my questions or questions,is after a year using LFP as portable power stations in smart battery boxes,I decided to replace my house AGM with one of the LFP,which I just did a while back..I unhooked shore power and 100% on solar with an extension cord ran in for the little heater I use when it is cold..

I haven't hooked up the shore power to the system yet because of the old converter I have and screwing up my alternator maybe..It will work but not just as well as a proper one for LFP..I plan on disconnecting the charge wire to the lance camper and just use solar and portable chargers to keep them up without worry of my alternator if rumors are correct about the damage LFP can cause...

If you don't ask a question you will be guessing,so I ask here knowing there is some real LFP knowledge here as stated above..

Thanks for the answers,much appreciated..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itinerant1, yes you are not in a position to do the sort of testing and make the kind of graphs I would like to see. Some other guys could though. Just not the kind of thing many guys would like to do it seems.
Photo in Profile

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
That's because I'm living off my system and don't have the time to be a weekend worrior scientist making graphs, there is recorded data that time after time shows the same thing after 6 years of everyday use and many cycles in whatever SOC using high draw item for long periods. It works what I'm doing.

I find these threads amusing when everyone is bringing in different beliefs from different websites or blogs or sales page's.

I know one thing for sure, right or wrong, which I believe is good enough for "my" prupose of living off of solar/ lfp batteries with solar being the main charging source. 14.1v absorb 10 minutes tops but 6 minutes is usally when it switches to flaot at 13.6v. I have constant draws of 2ah from inverter (never turned off) and a humidifier 7ah on 24/7, total of 9ah always drawing then add in all the other comforts of life. I donโ€™t scimp on power, some might even say wasteful but it's there to waste without worry. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
StirCrazy if your claim is that the Solacity guy's info is just a sales pitch with wrong info about LFPs, it is your job to provide links to the correct, more credible, version of that information to prove your claim.

FWIW, I don't read it as a sales pitch, and I am one who got all kinds of abuse from you LFP guys on here last year or so for my complaints about LFP sales pitches having bogus info.

I am still getting abuse from 3-tons. ๐Ÿ™‚ Meanwhile he just used the Solacity guy as a reference in a recent post in this thread (13 May at 0732), and then when after that, I used the Solacity guy as a ref, he said that guy is not to be believed! Makes you laugh.

When I posted test results of my various field tests of various RV equipments to show what they did, I had to explain how I measured things to indicate how credible those results were.

It is no good making arm- wavy claims about LFP performance without any graphs , tables, and especially the whole scenario for how those measurements were made.

EG, if I had LFPs I would already have run some cycles and made graphs to see what really happens at various charging rates same as I did years ago to make my ugly graph using FLAs. Barre's book on 12v taught me how to do that.

So let's see some graphs and tables you LFP guys have made from your measurements and indicate how you got those numbers so they can be peer reviewed here by guys who can see if your results are credible.

itinerant1 has posted many tables of how his system performs, but they don't show graphs of charging profiles at various rates with times, which the Solacity guy claims to have seen but did not show.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Stir find me an Li battery that provide 9C for 5 seconds, 4C continuous, and be charged at -40. You may find that is unobtainable.

As to size, I have room for 7 Group 31, so that is not an issue.
Why would I need 9,000 amps, or even 4,000 for that matter??

If my battery actually drops to even -20 my energy and heating systems have failed to the point I am already rolling out. I mean propane does not even vaporize at -40. I would have to assume utility power is available at these temperatures(no battery required). Temps at -40 is an expedition vehicle and preparation is far beyond virtually all RVs. No reason to proclaim this as an ordinary criteria for an RV on this forum. Better suited to an expedition vehicle forum.

https://www.globalxvehicles.com/uxv-max.html

dont want to go there, I went there and searched SiO2 and here is a quote from the first post that came up .

"With the exception of cold weather charging, the specs on these are almost identical to any other flavor of lead acid battery. They are not really comparable to lithium with regard to cycle life, energy density, recharge rate etc. There do appear to be some folks shilling these on some RV themed sited that are making some very unrealistic claims about their performance. In the end, they are just extra jellied gel-cells.

The low temperature charging 'issue' with lithium is a bit overstate and fairly easy to address if it does apply."

Steve

Thanks very much for highlighting this valuable information!!โ€ฆ.FWIW, Iโ€™d made several attempts to gain a better understanding of SiO2โ€™s nature, but my search efforts always failed to yield even a single independent White Paper (except for a CAN vendorโ€™s in-house paperโ€ฆ), and unfortunately, this lack of independent findings may have stung (??) a poor few whoโ€™ve already taken the SiO2 plungeโ€ฆIโ€™ve never once โ€˜knockedโ€™ SiO2โ€™s for others (but doesnโ€™t work for meโ€ฆ), though may now warrant a re-evaluation for some - JMHO

Itโ€™s definitely kinda sad to see Caveat Emptor raise itโ€™s ugly head again (ugg)โ€ฆ

3 tons

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

FWIW, I don't read it as a sales pitch, and I am one who got all kinds of abuse from you LFP guys on here last year or so for my complaints about LFP sales pitches having bogus info.

I am still getting abuse from 3-tons. ๐Ÿ™‚ Meanwhile he just used the Solacity guy as a reference in a recent post in this thread (13 May at 0732), and then when after that, I used the Solacity guy as a ref, he said that guy is not to be believed! Makes you laugh.

When I posted test results of my various field tests of various RV equipments to show what they did, I had to explain how I measured things to indicate how credible those results were.

It is no good making arm- wavy claims about LFP performance without any graphs , tables, and especially the whole scenario for how those measurements were made.

EG, if I had LFPs I would already have run some cycles and made graphs to see what really happens at various charging rates same as I did years ago to make my ugly graph using FLAs. Barre's book on 12v taught me how to do that.

itinerant1 has posted many tables of how his system performs, but they don't show graphs of charging profiles at various rates with times, which the Solacity guy claims to have seen but did not show.
Photo in Profile

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
BFL13 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
You need 14.x to get those ions moving better. Once there you can lower the voltage

Lower charging voltage than 14.6 needs more time so keep
Float voltage same as Bulk longer too till desired SOC is reached
I respectfully disagree.

I got that from the Solacity guy.

ya that is how a lot of the misconceptions around here got started. prople taking a sales pitch as gospel. you don't know how many stores and websites I have been to where people are giving the information for older nickel cadium batteries and saying that is for LiFePO4. they are starting to get better but for a couple years it was just horrable.

there are a couple handycaps to workaround with LFP like cold weather use and charging, but this is very easily solved by moving the batteries into a conditioned space or insulating them and useing heateres (weather there home built or come intagrated into the battery) if some one is unwilling to do the work then the batteries shouldn't be blamed but rather the person who shills them as bad because they are not willing to do the work nessasary. not saying this is you in anyway, I think you are just trying to read to much into sales papers.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100