cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a ground wire

Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm installing an external LED light strip under my awning. Man, these things are BRIGHT. I'm trying to install a dimmer controller but can't find a ground. The controller requires both 12V and ground input. The below image is what I'm dealing with.

Is there a ground wire accessible from here and I'm just not finding it?

The AC thermostat has ground going to it. The 16' light strip pulls 2A. Would it be unwise of me to tap off of that ground? Would I be creating noise issues by the PWM controller affecting the thermostat if I did? The controller PWM frequency is 2kHz.

Thanks
Dave
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
18 REPLIES 18

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Ground is ground. 2 amps is not a concern, but higher amperage might burn out the little tiny thermostat wire, not a concern here. Ground is ground, so if ground is issue with your pwm then any ground will be an issue. The steel camper frame is ground also, the entire frame of the camper is ground, all the ground wires are ground, they are all connected to the frame and to the negative post on the battery, ground is common to everything.
The only concern, as stated, is how much amperage will be flowing through your chosen ground wire.
I dont think there would be concern with your thermo wire, but try it, if it works then it works, job done.

Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Use this. For less than $30 and you control while outside. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/RV-LIGHTING-WS-01DC-Wireless-Controller/dp/B01LOIZ3Q2/ref=asc_df_B01LOIZ3Q2/?...
Thanks Doug
But doesn't this still require a ground wire? It looks like it wires up just like the one I have
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Cannot see in poto, How many wires are coming out of the box you have open?
Have you checked the switches below open box?
I would stay away from the thermostat wiring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad