cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mixing different volatage batteries

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2 new 6v Interstate batteries, if I have enough room for just 1 more, would this work for 12v? if so, where would you connect the load.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
25 REPLIES 25

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on battery bank switch. There is getting a job done, and getting a job done right. The battery bank switch is the right way to do it.

Only thing I might add is an inline catastrophic fuse or circuit breaker on the lines so if a dead short does happen, you are out a fuse, not your wiring or your entire rig.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/battery_switches/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
Here is how I wired mine with a selectable switch. That way you can run them all at once or isolate as desired.

Looks like something I might try. What kind of switch is that? Bad thing about 6's is if one goes you are out of 12v power all together.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how I wired mine with a selectable switch. That way you can run them all at once or isolate as desired.

1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mess with your jumper cables. It doesn't get any easier than that...

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
So it'll work okay, provided it's wired correctly, as smkettner states/shows.

"Optimum" charging configuration sounds like it'd be done as separate banks.

Don't know that I want to mess with the switch so I'll have to think this one over. Maybe wait till after my next trip and see how I make out boondocking with just the 6's.

Appreciate the help.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Older discussions here:
(Don't worry, 8 year old information is still valid)

Add 12v to 2 6v 2006
12 and 2 6v 2010
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Padlin wrote:

Or this

Connect the load to the left hand 6v+ for better results.

NOTHING should connect to the 6v series jumper between the 6v batteries.

I would actually connect the load to the 6v pair and let the 12v tag along.

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
sch911 wrote:
This way would be better:

Much much better unless you want to destroy your batteries.

Correct
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Padlin wrote:

Or this

This will not work properly. You're only giving the load 6V. It is only very marginally better than your first drawing, which had the batteries shorted out. This one probably wouldn't blow up, or start a fire right away, but it won't work and could well destroy a battery or your converter/charger over time

The 12V battery is, broadly speaking, equivalent to two 6V batteries in series. The 12V battery has six cells in series internally; the 6V batteries each have three cells in series. The main difficulties alluded to by other posters are due to significant differences in cell structure between the two batteries.

Based on the pictures you're posting, I would suggest that you have someone else (with a decent knowledge of things electrical/electronic) check out your actual wiring before you connect things up. It's easy enough to cross yourself up when you're quite clear on what needs to be done, and having only a fuzzy understanding of things doesn't make it any easier.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Temporarily connected is OK. But for whatever reason the temptation to "leave them connected" becomes quite strong. I would use jumper cables not permenant lugs and cables. The recipe for each class of battery is different, voltage wise.

I remember being lazy 30 years ago and playing Layback Lenny with a mixed bank of gel and calcium/calcium batteries. Swift kick in the butt time. I lost 5 Sonnenschein gel batteries over thar one. Woowee that shivered my timbers.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy, while camping for a few days it doesn't matter if one gets to 89% while the other gets to 91%. It will all get sorted out at home later on, when you do each up to baseline SG separately.

Where this all goes sideways is when the RVer has to park his rig in storage because he is not allowed to park it at home. Now all sorts of "work-arounds" have to be deployed.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had good luck mixing two 6VDC batteries in series with one 12VDC battery.

I have found it is best to be sure the batteries you're connecting have the same voltage and capacity rating. Otherwise, you may end up with charging problems, and shortened battery life.

I have on occasion connected these two battery groups together using my BLUE SEA 4-position battery switches still maintaining 12VDC but when it comes to charging them I would never combine these two groups. I would charge them as independent groups.

The differences of the two type of batteries would not charge the same when paralleled together with a single charger source...

The same less battery performance is probably screwed up as well when drawing current from the two groups in parallel but that is more livable.

When charging you want both group to get to their 90% or 100% charge state before using them again...

I'm probably splitting hairs here but have been following this procedure for a few years now and getting long battery life...

All of this is only based on observed approximate charge states of each of the batteries.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
B1+ to B2+ as shown
B2- to B3 + (not as shown)
B1- to B3 - (not as shown)

Or you can think of it like this

The 12 volt battery is represented by