cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My first RV wheel bearing replacement

Bear_Ghost
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, newbie RV owner here. I've been around Toy Haulers for a while and owned a small one about 12 years ago. But recently I've got back in the game and purchased a 2005 30' Sandpiper toy hauler. The TH is in really good condition for being 11 years old but I want to service the wheel bearings and brakes before making many more trips. At the same time I'm going to install a Dexter heavy duty shackle and plate kit. After a close look at my axles, they appear to be Hayes T-60 axles. The work looks pretty straight forward and I plan on tackling both items in one weekend. My question is....where is the best place to purchase the bearing/seal kits? How do I know I'm getting the right kit? There seems to be a lot of different ones out there. Thanks for any input!
Tow Vehicle- 2002 Chevy Duramax
Trailer- 2005 30' Sandpiper Toy Hauler
18 REPLIES 18

Bear_Ghost
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:

Would the storage place let you do just one at their place?

I'll check with them. That would make my weekend work go a little quicker. Thx!

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We live at the Jersey Cape Shore, and there are probably hundreds of thousands of boat trailers, and RV trailers all over the place ....

My point is that yes, at least most the independent guys (like NAPA) have a good assortment, and can get anything they don't have in a day or so. Your conditions may vary, but you could make a few calls to feel them out.

Would the storage place let you do just one at their place?
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Bear_Ghost
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:
For an 11 year old trailer, the safest thing to do is to disassemble one wheel, and get the numbers off them. A good auto parts guy should be able to cross reference them to a good, quality, name brand parts .... Timken, or whatever ....

I would take the old ones with me to make sure they match up .....

Good idea, I was hoping to be able to get all parts gathered and knock out the job in one shot, but how often does that happen!:B What complicates things too, is I have to store the trailer at an RV yard and I will have to do the work on the street in front of my house. I'll make some calls tomorrow and try and find a local parts shop that carries these parts. Would Napa or Auto Zone carry the kits? Or do I need to find a RV specific parts house?

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
For an 11 year old trailer, the safest thing to do is to disassemble one wheel, and get the numbers off them. A good auto parts guy should be able to cross reference them to a good, quality, name brand parts .... Timken, or whatever ....

I would take the old ones with me to make sure they match up .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel