Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Onan Generator is Vexing me!

Jlemaster
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all,
I’m looking for some help here. I have a 2010 37’ Cyclone toy hauler. I bought it used last year and it’s been great. However I’ve never really ran the built in Onan Gold Marquis 5500. The thing was clean and I was always at a full hookup site. I did run it for about 20 minutes each month under load to make sure that the carb stayed clean. So fast forward to now. I am prepping to go elk hunting and wanted to make sure the generator is squared away. I tried to start it and it wouldn’t run. I figured it was the carb and just figured that it had varnish in it. I pulled it off and cleaned the c#*p out of it. The thing looks like new and I blew everything out to make sure the jets weren’t plugged.... still no luck. So I bought a new carb and installed it.... same story. It acted fuel starved and I figured ... well it must be the fuel filters are plugged so I replaced them. This was just a fruitful as the carb replacement. It would run for about 60 seconds, idle down and s*#t out. So I figured .... must be a fuel flow issue, so I replaced the fuel pump... still no joy! I just replaced the spark plug today ( which the old one looked horrible) and it’s still doing the same thing! It does restart after every time it dies, but it just does the same thing. I wanna fix this thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried adjusting the carb altitude adjustment knob and it doesn’t help. I took a video of it that I’m gonna try to attach to this post if possible. If it’s not and you’d like to see it please message me and I’ll send you the video if you think it’ll help!! . Hopefully I can get some help here, because I’m sure this is just something small and stupid, but I’m out of ideas! Thanks in advance everyone!!
19 REPLIES 19

Jlemaster
Explorer
Explorer
Yup! It was freaking expensive. But worse than that... it took like 4 months to get that done. It was done at a Cummins dealership because no one else would fix it.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
$689 WITH a warranty? 😮
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
True story about a Honda EU-2000i.. Same symptoms you have Ran for like 2 minutes. then sputter die.. Checkd gas (tank full) did it again, and again, and again and finally I ask the park employee working on it if he'd opened the vent in the fuel cap. Ran for 2 or 3 hours after than and stopped when someone turned it off (A park employee).

Possible fuel tank vent issue. OR Clogged screen on fuel pick up

Though my money is on a bad fuel line as per a prior replay.

so far i have replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, carburater, fuel line from pump to carb., put short hose in fresh can of hi test gas still dies after 3 or 4 min. i might add i am getting code 36.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
True story about a Honda EU-2000i.. Same symptoms you have Ran for like 2 minutes. then sputter die.. Checkd gas (tank full) did it again, and again, and again and finally I ask the park employee working on it if he'd opened the vent in the fuel cap. Ran for 2 or 3 hours after than and stopped when someone turned it off (A park employee).

Possible fuel tank vent issue. OR Clogged screen on fuel pick up

Though my money is on a bad fuel line as per a prior replay.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jlemaster
Explorer
Explorer
Sooooo...... It’s funny that you posted this today... I just got it back from Cummins YESTERDAY!! They ended up replacing the fuel pump (they said it wasn’t the correct part for that generator), the spark plugs, both ignition coils, carburetor and the rocker cover seal. It works fine now. I started it and ran it for over two hours just to be sure. Cost me 689.00 and the warranty company paid 1100.00. So almost 1800 total to fix it.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
still waiting, what did they find out?

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Jlemaster wrote:
It was replaced, but it was with a factory Onan pump. I’ll definitely post a follow up once they repair it.

so what did they find? i am having exactly the same problem.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

Jlemaster
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah hopefully they unscrew the mess on the 19th . That’s when it goes in for service. I think it’ll probably be a pretty quick fix for people that work on them all the time.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Dford has some excellent suggestions!

I have seen some NASTY generator fuel line(s) from the gas tank. Road dirt and debris get kicked on top of fuel tank. Dirt gets wet and slowly dries creating some nasty rust. Also brittle fuel lines.
Might not be the issue but worth looking into.

How old is the gas that the generator is drawing from?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
you have a 2 cylinder engine....replace the other spark plug if the one you pulled looked bad.I find NGK3432 work best (BPR4EY). Onan says gap should be .025

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the forum for Onan help:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a wild guess. A friend had a gas Onan that was acting like yours. We live at 8200' and he was trying to camp at similar or higher altitude. Turns out he needed a high altitude carb. Was a cheap fix and simple install. Maybe somebody else will chime in on this issue.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Jlemaster
Explorer
Explorer
It was replaced, but it was with a factory Onan pump. I’ll definitely post a follow up once they repair it.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has the fuel pump been replaced recently? Perhaps with an aftermarket pump?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate