Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Repower Adventure

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 1 of my 460 engine replacement.

This is a 460 Ford project with EEC IV, OBD I, speed density computer.
Tune and drivability will be addressed, if necessary, when the new engine is running.
I have been planning this upgrade for over 2 years.
The ol 460 will turn into a 528. Or for you metric fans 7.5l to 8.6l.
Old bore is 4.360. New bore is 4.420. Old stroke is 3.85. New stroke is 4.30
First the E4OD tranny gets removed and sent to the shop for rebuild and updates.

Didn't get a lot of pieces/parts removed today.
Here is a pic of the removed parts.
IE Drive shaft, ZF emergency brake, "Y" pipe and right header.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson
91 REPLIES 91

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Now just wait until I get the 120" Harley hooked to the automatic steps.
ooh ooh ah ah.............I can feel my testosterone level on the rise!
Now where did I lay my tool belt?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
amazing how boring slightly larger holes, 8 of them, in a machined slab of pig iron, gets so many men grunting like Tim Allen on the old Tool Time show. Guilty as charged, men just like fixing and rebuilding things... it get's really expensive when you start rebuilding or replacing the DW though.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
filrupmark wrote:
Just wanted to say Congratulations on completion of your project. I have enjoyed reading as you went.
I helped a friend replace a 440 Dodge in a 1974 Executive and about 5 years worth of other work. It was a never ending project but enjoyable times and a lot of beer. We called it the " Money Pit " I hope the horsepower upgrades made some noticeable drivability differences. Go Enjoy it.

Thanks,
Glad to hear my posts were enjoyed.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrojan66 wrote:
Been following right along this thread. Sorry to see you go, now that job is finished. It will be like a good friend moving away. You always say you'll stay in touch, but hardly ever do. The most impressive thing about this story is the volume of down to earth knowledge you have and the matter of fact way you present. You're just a little older than me, and I identify with starting a project you've done before, but now for some strange reason, it takes twice as long and wears you out more! Keep at it, my Friend! If you don't use it, you loose it! Happy camping! David

Many thanks.
Have to laugh at "matter of fact ways". I'll accept that as "unpolished", which I admit to. GRIN.
My capacity with my hands has allowed me to make a respectable living, fixing things that go astray.
Hopefully our paths will cross in the vast world of RVing.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Larry202br wrote:
Time for a road test to Olathe for dinner!

I think next week has strong possibilities.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say Congratulations on completion of your project. I have enjoyed reading as you went.
I helped a friend replace a 440 Dodge in a 1974 Executive and about 5 years worth of other work. It was a never ending project but enjoyable times and a lot of beer. We called it the " Money Pit " I hope the horsepower upgrades made some noticeable drivability differences. Go Enjoy it.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Been following right along this thread. Sorry to see you go, now that job is finished. It will be like a good friend moving away. You always say you'll stay in touch, but hardly ever do. The most impressive thing about this story is the volume of down to earth knowledge you have and the matter of fact way you present. You're just a little older than me, and I identify with starting a project you've done before, but now for some strange reason, it takes twice as long and wears you out more! Keep at it, my Friend! If you don't use it, you loose it! Happy camping! David
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Larry202br
Explorer
Explorer
Time for a road test to Olathe for dinner!
2006 Open Road 316 RLDS-5
2004 F-250 Diesel, short bed, SRW, Crew cab, 3.73 auto.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update and hope it settles in ok.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 44.

New 36lb injectors arrived today. They were a bit too rich, so I turned the fuel pressure down a little and the air/fuel ratio meter says I'm good to go. (I purchased a BBK adjustable regulator before I started this project) Went for a short test run and was thoroughly impress. I'll leave well enough alone until we take out next trip.

Thanks for following along.
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 39.

Fired up the bounder and headed for the highway. It was too lean. I could feel it lean roll just after I throttled up. The wide band O2 meter confirmed what I was feeling.
As I stated I one of my earlier posts, drivability will need some work. Bigger injectors are on the way. Then it may be time to mess with the computer. Time will tell.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
RLS,
It is to late now but the inconel valves were a bad choice. The stock valves are designed to be the sacrificial link instead of the seat and you do not have near high enough exhaust temps to require an inconel valve. We run them in nitro cars because anything else burns up and wreaks havoc. Good luck and happy travels.
Randy

Interesting, iconel exhaust valves are readily available for most grocery getter engines in OEM configurations. Different trains of thought do prevail.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
RLS,
It is to late now but the inconel valves were a bad choice. The stock valves are designed to be the sacrificial link instead of the seat and you do not have near high enough exhaust temps to require an inconel valve. We run them in nitro cars because anything else burns up and wreaks havoc. Good luck and happy travels.
Randy

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
While I on a roll, here's a little something some of you might find of interest.
The valve in the picture has 138,000 miles on it. The Ford 460 exhaust seats are so hard, the valve took a beating and the seats still look like new.
The valves all look alike and were replaced with Inconel exhaust valves $$$$. The valve guides were still with in tolerances and didn't need replacing.
One of the reasons I like Fords was the quality of the cast iron. Really tough.
The cylinder bores has less than 0.0015" of taper.
I've been using Walmart's Super Tech 10W30 Full Synthetic oil for the last 75,000 miles. So it can't be too bad. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson