cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to the members who have provided info on this new one.

Dometic has a new recall for refrigerators made between June 1, 2003 through September 30, 2006. Many of these are the same models as were in the older recall (Recall number 06E076000). (Technically, Dometicโ€™s letter indicates an extension of the original, but NHTSA assigned a new Recall Number and the information is under that new number.)

Since it has a new NHTSA number, Iโ€™m starting a new thread on this one; but the actual work appears to be the same as in the first recall.

Text from the NHTSA website Recall 08E03200.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
Recall Number: 08E032000
Summary:
DOMETIC HAS REPORTED A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT COVERING 745,574 TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JUNE 1, 2003 AND SEPTEMBER 30, 2006, WITH SERIAL NOS. 320XXXXX THROUGH 352XXXXX; 401XXXXX THROUGH 452XXXXX; 501XXXXX THROUGH 552XXXXX; AND 601XXXXX THROUGH 639XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL/MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Some more links:

Dometic Recall Site

Dometic letter of April 11, 2008

NHTSA Response letter of April 21, 2008.

And here is a link to the original recall thread: Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

Edited to add a link to the original thread.
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road
92 REPLIES 92

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
ssandee, I don't recommend you try yourself & I definitely don't recommend using a rebuilt cooling unit. The job isn't impossible but there are details to the job that can render your refer innefficient or completely useless unless performed correctly. As for the core, you might luck out and get a good rebuilt one, but it's been my experience they usually don't last very long. The longevity greatly depends on the ethics and thoroughness of the rebuilder. IMO replacing with a new cooling unit would be the better choice, however cost is almost as high as a new refer, and unless you achieve a near perfect fit, the refer efficiency will be compromised. Maybe it's time for a new Norcold?

shamon, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune & hope nobody was injured. If you haven't already done so, I recommend you find a good lawyer. If you hire one on a contingency basis, it won't cost you a dime (initially). He will only get paid if he wins..........but will take about 1/3 of the award. Good luck. Tim

shamon
Explorer
Explorer
I was not aware of this recall notice until a week after my fifth wheel was engulfed in flames and burnt down my house in the middle of the night. Investigators determined it was the fridge. I received a recall notice in the mail a week later.

ssandee
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced the cooling unit in their rv refrigerator themselves? Ours Dometic cooling unit went out and we are about to replace it with a rebuilt unit ourselves. How difficult is it?

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
Why doesn't this surprise me. I didn't think there was any difference between the earlier refers and these later ones........so why didn't Dometic just recall all at once? It seems to me they are playing a game. I'm a dealer and thanks to this forum I'm just now finding out about this. Dometic didn't bother to notify me about this new extension of the recall. I wonder who else they "forgot" to notify? IMO, this band-aid fix doesn't necessarily make the refer safe. Hydrogen is an active molecule and it's conceivable that fires can burn in other places like out through the stack. Tim

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note- the Dometic recall site has changed its url, it's now http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php (the www changed to www2).
-- Chris Bryant

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I'll not have another Dometic product !!!
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
And how does this addition complicate trouble shooting a future problem if refer stops working???
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
They installed sheetmetal behind, under, around the right side, and in front of the burner assembly. Also put in some type of temp sensor and a wiring kit that hooks to the control board. It is supposed to shut down the fridge if the temp in the burner gets too high. I watched them doing mine the day before yesterday.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I njust had mine done. All I can see thats different is they installed a large sheet metal plate in front of the burner area. Is there something else they did that might complicate troubleshooting in case the refer ever stops working? Someone mentioned some kinda in-line fuse?
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

manley
Explorer
Explorer
First, they performed the recall on mine.

1 year later, they replaced the cooling unit (after it went out).

Don't much figure that I can argue about it, on a 1997 model camper.

Signed: Happy camper. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

B__C__S_
Explorer
Explorer
I've taken mine in this past couple of weeks too. My refrig is documented/verified as being one affected by the recall.

Dometic was "by good faith, repairing and/or replacing the refrigerators." After April 1st, they no longer are replacing the entire refrigerator! The recall is ONLY for the Secondary burner housing.

After numerous calls to my RV dealership and Dometic, they still will not cover any of the charges. I got my trailer in 2002, been deployed for two years, had various orders off and on out of state, and they still will not cover my refrigerator. All because it is past the warranty of 3 years (no extended warranty documents).
But out of good faith, if you brought in your trailer prior to April 1st you were taken care of, now, I'm out of luck. All because they are not "required by law" to replace it. The recall is for the housing only.

My dealership says it will be cheaper to just buy a new refrigerator and have it installed (which will be over $1770.00). They say at least I'll get another 3 year warranty. BIG DEAL! It didn't help me last time....

I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA this morning. My next step is to contact my states Attorney General's office. I will be calling my dealership to see if they can replace it with a Norcold Refrigerator instead. I DO NOT want another Dometic ever again if I can help it. I would assume that a manufacturer that is aware of a defect (or even the possibility of one, to the extent they put out a recall) that they would take care of the consumer no matter what if they were affected. Apparently Dometic will not, even if it is a 1% probability.

Has anyone else felt this way or had this happen too??? I wish I had the time or felt comfortable to repare/replace the frig myself...

B.

2006 F350 SD/CC/LB Lariat 6.0 PSD
2002 Salem TT - T23LK
2006 Yamaha 2400is Generator

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
heavyequipmentmover started a new thread. But I'm moving the post to this one and closing it - one thread is preferred. Mel
heavyequiptmentmover wrote:
I called Dometic today to confirm that my Dometic RM 2652 refer is included in the recent extention of recalls. (888-446-5157) Other than tell you your refer is one of the recalls,the young clerk at that number is not any help on details of the necessary work to comply with the recall.
Also called Dometic customer support 574-294-2511 thinking I would be able to get more information on the work necessary to accomplish the recall.The young man there was no more help then the previous young lady.Even though he said he was there to answer Tech questions,was not willing to give out info on the recall.
The NHTSA letter to Dometic of April 21,2008 stated that Dometic would install a secondary burner housing.I am not familiar with the nomenclature BURNER HOUSING.Is it referring to the cylindrical tube that surrounds the flue tube and electrical 115VAC heater?
If the recall installs a secondary burner housing within a burner housing,how does this effect the efficiency of the burner?
I have noticed that Dometic has installed a thermofuse on the cylindrical tube that surrounds the flue,whos location is in series with the 12+VDC to the Control Board.Is this Dometics means of killing power to the control board,to shut down burner incases where things get too hot within the cylindrical tube.Like if you have an uncontrolled fire?
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road

Dark_Green_HD_D
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't they address the root problem instead of just covering their butts with the fire hazzard containment sheetmetal afterthought fix. I just replaced my cooling unit,...guess what...the replacement is an exact copy of what i had.

paztruck
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they put a metal plate in to contain the fire if it starts. Got mine fixed today. If you are part of the new recall suggest you take the internet printout with you. The repair facility I got mine fixed at this morning knew nothing about the extended recall until they called Dometic. Now they are wise but it will help save the frustration if you bring proof.
2006 F250 Extended Cab, Long Bed, 6.0 PSD, Tow Package
2006 Keystone Springdale 242

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
Same band-aid fix right?

It would be nice if they actually replaced the parts that can cause the rupture rather than simply worrying about containing it.

Mike
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse