cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to the members who have provided info on this new one.

Dometic has a new recall for refrigerators made between June 1, 2003 through September 30, 2006. Many of these are the same models as were in the older recall (Recall number 06E076000). (Technically, Dometicโ€™s letter indicates an extension of the original, but NHTSA assigned a new Recall Number and the information is under that new number.)

Since it has a new NHTSA number, Iโ€™m starting a new thread on this one; but the actual work appears to be the same as in the first recall.

Text from the NHTSA website Recall 08E03200.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
Recall Number: 08E032000
Summary:
DOMETIC HAS REPORTED A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT COVERING 745,574 TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JUNE 1, 2003 AND SEPTEMBER 30, 2006, WITH SERIAL NOS. 320XXXXX THROUGH 352XXXXX; 401XXXXX THROUGH 452XXXXX; 501XXXXX THROUGH 552XXXXX; AND 601XXXXX THROUGH 639XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL/MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Some more links:

Dometic Recall Site

Dometic letter of April 11, 2008

NHTSA Response letter of April 21, 2008.

And here is a link to the original recall thread: Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

Edited to add a link to the original thread.
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road
92 REPLIES 92

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for the class action suit....

I haven't seen this asked:
Is there such a thing as a "coolant detector"? If the leaking coolant is the real problem, why not check for it? I know this still doesn't address the root of the problem, but if it keeps my coach from going up in flames....

And another quick one:
My refer is not on the list (right model number, wrong serial number), but if they are all essentially the same, why hasn't mine been recalled?

Sage
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

Stan47
Explorer
Explorer
Robert, if it were limited to Dometic--or even Dometic and one or two other parts suppliers--I wouldn't be so outraged. I'm of the opinion that there is so much collusion among RV manufacturers, component suppliers, and the RV publishing industry that there is little hope of change. Consider the fact that just about every RV publication except Gypsy Journal is controlled by the same financial interests, which also happen to control Good Sam and Camping World.

As much as I am loathe to sick the government on anyone, I think the entire industry bears investigating under the anti-trust laws.
Life's too short to drink light beer.

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
Stan47 wrote:
I don't like repeating myself, but in this case I will: it's time for a class-action lawsuit against Dometic.

Just about every last one of us is out some fuel money and time, and if these bum refrigerators crash out of warranty, we are just S.O.L. as far as Dometic is concerned.

After twenty years and three trailers, I am sick of seeing the product get glitzier and more expensive each year, along with a general decline in quality.

You read TL, Highways or the other publications that are essentially owned by Art Rouse's empire and they are chock full of problems getting dealers and manufacturers to stand behind their product. The RV clubs (e.g. Good Sam) are not about to do anything to police this, because they are in the loop, with these others as advertisers.

Presumably, the RV makers are going to see a downturn with the continuing rise in fuel costs. We need to send them the message that they need to start doing better with design reliability, quality, warranties and customer support. If sales are indeed shrinking, THEY WILL LISTEN.

stan47,

Sounds as if you and I (and others) are of the same mind set concerning this rip off. Check out my previous posts about Dometic.

My hopes are that once these RV manufacturer's and dealers realize that they can't move their Dometic equipped products due to this mess; they (the dealers and manufacturers) will have a "little chat" with Dometic concerning making their previous customers whole. If I were trying to sell a product outfitted with a Dometic product at this point, I would not be a "happy camper."

I know I am done with Dometic. This is not so much because their product(s) has/have a problem, but because of the way they swept it under the carpet as long as they could, causing units to fall out of warranty thereby avoiding actual repair or replacement. Additionally, Dometic didn't FIX anything; they only applied the Band-Aid in attempt to cover their rears.

Okay, I'll stop now. This is the short version of my previous rant.

See you out there,

Robert
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

Stan47
Explorer
Explorer
Double post. sorry.

Stan47
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like repeating myself, but in this case I will: it's time for a class-action lawsuit against Dometic.

Just about every last one of us is out some fuel money and time, and if these bum refrigerators crash out of warranty, we are just S.O.L. as far as Dometic is concerned.

After twenty years and three trailers, I am sick of seeing the product get glitzier and more expensive each year, along with a general decline in quality.

You read TL, Highways or the other publications that are essentially owned by Art Rouse's empire and they are chock full of problems getting dealers and manufacturers to stand behind their product. The RV clubs (e.g. Good Sam) are not about to do anything to police this, because they are in the loop, with these others as advertisers.

Presumably, the RV makers are going to see a downturn with the continuing rise in fuel costs. We need to send them the message that they need to start doing better with design reliability, quality, warranties and customer support. If sales are indeed shrinking, THEY WILL LISTEN.

DXprowler
Explorer
Explorer
$40 is cheap!! I was quoted 3 hrs plus mileage to be paid up front from the nearest authorized installer! I phoned Dometic and told them. They asked if I could move the trailer and I said yes but to avoid this bandit I would have to travel 2 hrs to the next nearest dealer. Dometic said tough... you can move the trailer so we won't cover a service call.... I asked if they could send me the parts... NO.... After getting transferred to another voice and again told NO, NO, NO, I said allowing this to go on since 1997 is pathetic and hung up!

I then called my dealer 1300 miles away explained my predicament and got the low down. They only get 1/2 hr out of it! I asked if they could send the parts as I've read posts on forums, have seen pic's and feel I could easily install the mod. They asked where to send it?

It's installed and done. Not a big deal and didn't even have to touch the propane line! Dometic should be ashamed of themselves!!
2008 F350 PSD 4x4 XLT S/Cab L/Box
2006 29RLBS Wildcat
Husky 16K w/AirBox, Line-X
Kipor 2000Ti ๐Ÿ™‚

Admiral
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
Had my kit installed today. Repair facility came to the trailer (just over 1 mile from his shop) to install the parts. Cost me $40.00 for the service call. Is that normal? Were those who took their trailers to the dealers charged labor for the install? I called Dometic to ask about the labor charge but they were already closed. Only took the mechanic about 30 minutes to make the installation.

I had my fridge fitted with the recall stuff today and asked the company owner what happens in your situation. He said Dometic supplies the parts and gives him $40 to install them. It takes him about 20 minutes to put it in since he's installed hundreds of them. In the case of park models and other rvs that can't be brought in to the shop, Dometic will reimburse him $60 for a service call above the labor to install elsewhere. Anything over that is the customer's responsibility. He takes the $60 for anything less than 10 miles from the shop and charges .50 per mile after that.
Figure your $40 overage into that scenario. I'd say you were ripped off so call him on that one!

BTW there was no charge for mine.

2004 Damon Daybreak 2960F V-10
05 Honda Element LX

Compassion should be voluntary, not mandatory.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Had my kit installed today. Repair facility came to the trailer (just over 1 mile from his shop) to install the parts. Cost me $40.00 for the service call. Is that normal? Were those who took their trailers to the dealers charged labor for the install? I called Dometic to ask about the labor charge but they were already closed. Only took the mechanic about 30 minutes to make the installation.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Phantom59
Explorer
Explorer
In case you are not aware of it Norcold has a simalar recall on thier units not to mention a history of other problems so there is no good answer to this problem.
I replaced a $2000 box today for a customer that had the recall kit installed it was 3 months out of the 3 year warranty. It tripped the new limit switch but not in time to keep it from leaking.

rlh6805
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out mine is under recall too. I have a week trip planed and am leaving this Saturday. I called my dealer to see if he can get me in, but now after reading what the fix is I am not that concerned. I did the inspection and there are no issues, I'll just make sure to keep an eye on the burner until I can get it in. Is is safe to say that eventually they will all fail? How many years and how much use are they seeing before failure?

Rob and Cindy in Michigan
2004 Prowler Regal
2001 Ford Excursion V10 4x4
Tasha, Deanna (RIP), and Abby (our dogs)

Stan47
Explorer
Explorer
@Finally - Small claims won't have any impact, and may not even have jurisdiction, since those are usually state courts. This thing needs to be a federal class action. IF Good Sam were any kind of real "club," and not just an advertising/money-making racket, they would be leading the charge here. But it will never come from them, because of the potential for lost advertising.

@Admiral - the work itself takes only about an hour. How long you will be in queue at the dealer, and how long it will take you to drive there and back: different story. My repair shop got the trailer in early afternoon, and had it finished the next morning.

Admiral
Explorer
Explorer
How long does the dealer take to install the repair parts?

2004 Damon Daybreak 2960F V-10
05 Honda Element LX

Compassion should be voluntary, not mandatory.

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my notice "Dometic Voluntarily Expands Refrigerator Recall" If I am reading the "fix letter" to letter to NHTSA right all Dometic is doing is installing a shield to contain the leaking coolant so it doesn't catch fire. So when/if the coolant leaks out of the defective weld and fatigued metal it won't cause a fire but now the refrigerator is now useless. Who pays to fix the refrigerator so it will again be a working refrigerator? If I am going to get stuck with the cost, I might as well forget the recall fix and replace my refrigerator now with another brand and never ever again buy any Dometic Product. With this letter and notice Dometic is admitting that they have sold an unsafe and defective product, but will not replace the defective unit. Sounds like good grounds to sue for the replacement cost in Small Claims court.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Stan47
Explorer
Explorer
I hope shamon was making a joke...

Calling that sheet metal a "secondary burner housing" is an insult. Do they think their customers are so stupid they won't open the lid and LOOK at this so-called re-engineering job?

Just got my "repaired" unit back from the shop, and I do not see anything that will prevent the crack/leak that caused the recall in the first place.

And I notice that Dometic has not offered to reimburse me for the 32 gallons of fuel expended in getting the rig to and from the shop, not to mention the two half-days spent in the process.

There is so much junk being sold in the RV industry that I think this TT will be our last RV. The dealers I've spoken with agree that the products are junk.

You would think that since the industry is facing a certain decline in sales, they'd start paying more attention to quality, instead of continuing to build******with fancier graphics.

DXprowler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a thermo coupler already but my fridge is under the recall so I guess I need the shielding but do I need another thermo coupler or is it added along with the previous one or not? Anyone know the rating of the thermo coupler? I'm in a difficult area to get this done by an authorized installer so may have to retrofit something till I can get to the dealer in the fall!
2008 F350 PSD 4x4 XLT S/Cab L/Box
2006 29RLBS Wildcat
Husky 16K w/AirBox, Line-X
Kipor 2000Ti ๐Ÿ™‚