cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 12 volt power after disconncting coach battery

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
I recently disconnected my coach battery to check for water levels and no longer have 12 v power. I forgot to disconnect shore power before doing this. All of the fuses are okay and everything works with shore power or with the generator running. Battery checks out to 12V. Any ideas...I'm stumped.
Also: this is a 1997 Damon Hornet Calss C, there is no battery by pass switch...no inverter. Very simple: 1 12v Battery, converter.

Okay, Red Wire and Black Wire (with fuse in line) are connected to Positive. Green is connected to negative. I had the black (with fuse) connected to negative (I didn't remember where the wire went when I first disconnectd (I know...I'm a bit of an idiot!). Now the panel lights come on showing battery power (tank levels etc), but still no 12v power to lights, pump etc. I rechecked all fuses...no issues.

Battery does not seem to be charging from shore power.

Pleas tell me I did not fry my converter!!
Dave, Janeen, Lane, Mady and Brooke
Coventry, RI
12 REPLIES 12

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit solved the problem! After plenty of back and forth through private messages, Old Biscuit narrowed it down to a DC Circuit Breaker. I pushed the tiny button to reset...and there was light!!!
Thanks Old Biscuit!
Coventry, RI

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit solved the problem! After plenty of back and forth through private messages, Old Biscuit narrowed it down to a DC Circuit Breaker. I pushed the tiny button to reset...and there was light!!!
Thanks Old Biscuit!
Coventry, RI

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I would love to SEE electricity but I have to rely on a test light and hand meter. If you find someone who can see 12 volts in a wire please PM me.

Use to SEE it all the time during switching procedures ....air blast disconnects

As for 12V DC......usually SEE that when the magic smoke escapes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to SEE electricity but I have to rely on a test light and hand meter. If you find someone who can see 12 volts in a wire please PM me.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
On my rig, black goes to the positive terminal and white is negative to ground. You could follow the wires to see which one is grounded.

The Ohms ranges on your multimeter could be used to see which wire(s) go to ground. On a low Ohms range check to see what happens when you touch the two leads together - should read near zero. Then hold or connect one lead to to chassis ground and touch the other one to each wire in turn and see which one gives a near zero resistance.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
chefdc1 wrote:
i replaced 30 amp fuses again (Not blown this time) and still no power or battery charging. Flumoxed!

Then check that in-line fuse on black cable...make sure you have 12V on both sides of fuse/contacts.

Also check 120V AC power to converter....tripped CB, or if plugged into an outlet is outlet hot (tripped GFCI)??

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also have you corrected the battery terminal wiring. If not it just blows the fuses again when you hookup... Make sure the wiring is correct first before replacing fuses...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Could you please list what RV you have and what you have for batteries.

Have you looked for that small circuit breaker close to the batteries?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Reverse Polarity FUSES

They blown when battery is hooked up backwards to PROTECT converter electronics (as explained in other post :B )

30A/40A fuses on converter..front/side/rear

With battery cables correctly/verified POS to POS and NEG to NEG then replace those reverse polarity fuses and all good.
12V DC from battery and converter output to battery for charging

I had same issue when installing my new 6 volt batteries. Blew all 3 fuses on converter. Repaced fuses and all is well.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
i replaced 30 amp fuses again (Not blown this time) and still no power or battery charging. Flumoxed!
Coventry, RI

westend
Explorer
Explorer
First, check that power is present beyond that fuse in the black cable to your battery when properly connected. There may also be a hidden circuit breaker close to the battery. Look for a small can that houses the breaker. It may need resetting.

As OB states, if you connected 12V backwards, you may have blown the reverse connected protection fuses on the converter.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reverse Polarity FUSES

They blown when battery is hooked up backwards to PROTECT converter electronics (as explained in other post :B )

30A/40A fuses on converter..front/side/rear

With battery cables correctly/verified POS to POS and NEG to NEG then replace those reverse polarity fuses and all good.
12V DC from battery and converter output to battery for charging