cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oiled my box fan and it broke...

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
The box fan is in my RV so that makes this an RV question.

Anyways..
I have been cleaning my box fan off and on. Get the fuzz, cat hair, doll hair out and then put some turbine style oil on the sleeve bearings.
Maybe i put on too much this time?

Well, the fan went like one day and that night it was laboring. Now it shows no signs of life. No hum or nothing.

Pulled it apart again and saw no obstructions. I was hoping to see some doll hair but no.

Q: Can oil mess up windings on a motor?
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
groundhogy wrote:
You guys are spending alot of effort on this thread.
I appreciate the attention!

Tryin to make you feel special. Considering youโ€™re the author of this strange thread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are spending alot of effort on this thread.
I appreciate the attention!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
groundhogy wrote:
Why is doll hair creepy?
It comes off of barbie dolls and is worse than pet hair.
Ever heard of little kids on an RV?

Oops, sorry. We have boys and 3 dogs. My bad.
How many Barbie dolls does it take to be worse than 3 dogs? Although the dogs donโ€™t get to go RVing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Are we talking about something more special than your avg $19.99 box fan? Like the kind I have 3 or 4 kicking around. 1 that hasnโ€™t been shut off for idk, over 5 years now down in the pump house.
I mean, the alternator went out on my sons 1986 truck last night too. Had to drive home w no lights on. But never thought about posting it on the inner websโ€ฆ.Wondering if if dog hair (not doll hair, thatโ€™s just creepy) caused it to failโ€ฆlol.

My thought exactly! Why fix/repair/oil a $20 box fan? Just get a new one, or if a tight budget, a garage/yard sale model for $1.50?

For Grit...dangerous to drive at night with no lights!! Another time, you could just stand in truck bed, wearing proper head lamps.

Comes in convenient 2-pack

I know you're not asking for help, but hey, what are friends for!!

Jerry

Thanks lol.
It does have a sliding rear window but I checked and I couldnโ€™t reach the steering wheel while pretending to be a light bar, from the truck bed!
On the upside 11pm on a Friday night is like rush hour in some places. And all the Teslas โ€˜round here have really bright lights. I was just like the rest of the people who forget to turn on their lights, blended right in!

Cwilson333
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

I mean, the alternator went out on my sons 1986 truck last night too. Had to drive home w no lights on. But never thought about posting it on the inner websโ€ฆ.

Last week the spring broke in the plastic tube thingy that holds the roll of TP on my toilet paper holder. I'm torn between deciding if I should buy a new spring, a new plastic tube thingy, or a whole new holder? Watcha think? LOL.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Are we talking about something more special than your avg $19.99 box fan? Like the kind I have 3 or 4 kicking around. 1 that hasnโ€™t been shut off for idk, over 5 years now down in the pump house.
I mean, the alternator went out on my sons 1986 truck last night too. Had to drive home w no lights on. But never thought about posting it on the inner websโ€ฆ.Wondering if if dog hair (not doll hair, thatโ€™s just creepy) caused it to failโ€ฆlol.

My thought exactly! Why fix/repair/oil a $20 box fan? Just get a new one, or if a tight budget, a garage/yard sale model for $1.50?

For Grit...dangerous to drive at night with no lights!! Another time, you could just stand in truck bed, wearing proper head lamps.

Comes in convenient 2-pack

I know you're not asking for help, but hey, what are friends for!!

Jerry

MrWizard
As long as Chucky does not come to visit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh wait...
you mean in the middle of the night, when all the dolls run around the RV by themselves?
You get used to that after awhile.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Why is doll hair creepy?
It comes off of barbie dolls and is worse than pet hair.
Ever heard of little kids on an RV?

Cwilson333
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Doll hair??

Exactly lol.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you by chance read (if available) the owners guide to maintain the fan. Plenty of fans out there that have been running for decades with just blowing the dust off.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oil can mess up the windings but it takes a lot of it.
But sleeve bearings eventually wear out. Even if oiled.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It's way better to use solvent to clean the varnish out of the wicks first, blow them out and let dry and then oil. The no-run problem could be many things. Maybe a bad switch... have you checked volts and amps? Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!