cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 5500 and batteries

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I have a 2021 GD 380fl with Onan 5500 built in generator. Works great but I want to add a battery bank and use an inverter for smaller loads so that the genny isn’t running so much. Not knowing how the Onan is wired in I’m assuming that it has a switch of some sort that will switch it from shore power to generator, How can I add a battery bank with inverter into the mix? And is it possible or necessary to use the switch that the Onan has? I know that I can run a extension cable from the batteries inverter to the external shore power plug with suitable adaptors but I’d prefer to use an internal automatic configuration. Thanks.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0
9 REPLIES 9

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure on solar but it’s a prossiblity same for temporary power pole, but it’s mostly going to come from onboard generator and smaller inverter generator. Don’t know why the battery is lighter, maybe it’s the general nature of Lithiums or perhaps this particular model.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
So you will recharge with solar? Or will there be a 120 volt shore power "drop"?

I don't understand why the battery weighs so much less than other similar capacity units.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Complicated way much more expensive,

wire a sub panel for items you wish to run from the inverter. Power that panel from the inverter output.

Not all that much more expensive but

That's the way to do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
First off Thanks to everyone for their replies. I appreciate it. I have since purchased a 300 amp hr lithium battery from Canbat and a 3,000watt pure sine wave inverter from Renogy and also Renogy battery monitor. After researching much more than I expected I have come up with either replacing the existing automatic transfer switch with a 3 way unit or adding another 2 way ats at the front compartment for the generator and the inverter. Since a 3 source switch is rare and expensive I think that a second 2 way ats for the gen and inverter is the way to go. Any flaws that you can see in my plan?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RP5B5P7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-1000W-Solar-Inverter-Cabin/dp/B07MKN7MM3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie...

https://www.canbat.com/product/12v-300ah-cold-weather-lithium-battery/

I should add that this will be our full time home for the next 2 years as we build our house.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are definitely cheaper etc alternatives. However the price he was quoted for a PSW upgrade is likely reasonable but depends upon what he currently has.

OP None of this is rocket science and with research etc it can be a DIY project.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Complicated way much more expensive,

wire a sub panel for items you wish to run from the inverter. Power that panel from the inverter output.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine, that used to run with us a lot, would often plug into one of my Honda EU2000i generators instead of running his 7000 watt Onan diesel (on his diesel pusher motorhome) for light loads. We both used automatic battery chargers on our rigs.

After he used my Honda a few times, he bought one of his own. Even with having to carry a gas can, he said it was much more efficient than to run than his Onan for light loads.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Simple way:

Set fridge to propane, switch converter off, plug shore power cord into inverter output.

Or you can automate all of the above, for a LOT more expense.
Regards, Don

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Connect the inverter to the existing battery bank and use it's AC output. From there it gets more involved with new or expanded battery bank and AC circuit wiring. Battery chargers may also be involved.

Even more involved would be to add a whole house inverter that powers can power the entire RV AC.

Virtually every RV with a built in gen has an ATS that switches between shore and gen power. Batteries, chargers and inverters are independent.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob