Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan problems ( 4k microlite )

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone know about Onan generators?

I have a 4k Onan that I bought used a couple of years ago and just got around to installing it today.

The generator fires right up but does not produce any voltage. I have tried the circuit breaker with no results. No voltage on the output leads, checked with VOM.

I have only let it run about a minute then I shut it down. No codes were given.

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Called Onan tech support today, they think it may be the brushes.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
I may well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the generator controller board would shut down the engine if there was no or insufficient voltage being generated. Since it stays running, it would seem to me to suggest that your problem is not with the generator but with the connections to the rest of the world and not with its power production.

On my version of this generator, at least, the power output connections to the generator are not that easy to get to: the neutral and ground lead connect to a chassis ground connection point on the inside (on a little bottle-cap like gizmo that several quick connects can slide onto) opposite the ground lead attachment point, and the hot lead connects to the circuit breaker directly after being routed underneath the various control boards and through the baffle in the middle of the generator. Maybe one of those wires isn't attached properly.

By "the circuit breaker" I assume you mean the circuit breaker on the generator; if not, try flipping/resetting it.
Yes the circuit breaker on the generator. I have not received a fault code How long does it have to run to produce a fault code and shut down? Will check the wires Monday.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Colliehauler,
Post your model and serial numbers for more accurate advice. The generator gurus on this Forum need the numbers for diagnosis. Onan made a range of 4K microlite gensets.
model 4KFA26100K serial CO60904071

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Colliehauler,
Post your model and serial numbers for more accurate advice. The generator gurus on this Forum need the numbers for diagnosis. Onan made a range of 4K microlite gensets.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the generator controller board would shut down the engine if there was no or insufficient voltage being generated. Since it stays running, it would seem to me to suggest that your problem is not with the generator but with the connections to the rest of the world and not with its power production.

On my version of this generator, at least, the power output connections to the generator are not that easy to get to: the neutral and ground lead connect to a chassis ground connection point on the inside (on a little bottle-cap like gizmo that several quick connects can slide onto) opposite the ground lead attachment point, and the hot lead connects to the circuit breaker directly after being routed underneath the various control boards and through the baffle in the middle of the generator. Maybe one of those wires isn't attached properly.

By "the circuit breaker" I assume you mean the circuit breaker on the generator; if not, try flipping/resetting it.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forgot to add it's the 4k microlite.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Google 'flash a generator', you can use a corded electric drill.

It's a simple process, there are several videos on YouTube.

KD4UPL is correct. If a generator doesnt get used for a long time, like yours, they lose the charge or magnetism.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess, but, you may need to "reflash the field winding" is what I heard once from a commercial Onan generator guy. If the generator sits around for a long time not having run apparently the residual magnetism goes away.
Or something like that.
I don't know how you would actually do this.