cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options for propane regulators

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I have the mixing valve that automatically switches over. Its leaking and also has a bad hose. Trailer is only 5 years old. My friends tell me the regulators are junk and fail often.

Is there a higher quality brand lots of people install?
Buy cheap and replace every couple years?

Was considering ditching the mixing valve all together. Does a regulator designed for propane BBQ work at the same pressure as an RV?
22 REPLIES 22

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to hijack this thread but can someone tell me if the Cavagna brand regulator goes from Green to Red only when completely empty all at once or does it change slowly showing the propane level?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
That Marshall is what I had and disliked the whole time. Indicator would sort of creep up and was hard to tell if the cylinder was truly empty. Almost ran out a few times second guessing after pulling a cylinder and it was still 30%. The window became very fogged over time making the read even worse.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
The Cavagna gets good reviews and would be high on my list, but I think you will find that many will still recommend the Marshall MEGR-253 or the Rego which I can't find to buy(or afford). I guess I'd go with the Cavagna.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grill is usually high pressure, RV is low pressure.

I recommend Cavagna brand regulator and pigtails. Regulator is easy to read and snaps into place when the primary cylinder is empty. The pigtails seem to have a superior crimp to hold the hose. Just seems like higher quality.

And yes my previous regulator was leaking for some time before I replaced mine.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
A small amount of WD-40 squirted into the hose will help keep it working - it does have moving parts.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!! Been seeing that mentioned. Will have to look up what exactly its doing and make sure to avoid a single stage.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Same pressure? - yes.

Grills typically use a single stage regulator, you should have a dual stage regulator on an RV.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer a non-automatic propane switch valve. When one bottle runs out I switch and refill the empty one. If an โ€œautomaticโ€ mode allows you to monitor and adjust, fine. If โ€œautomaticโ€ means โ€œno thinking needed,โ€ I say nope.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad