Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor GFCI outlet trips when using electric cooktop

Revolver
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
When I plug my electric cooktop into the outdoor GFCI outlet, the GFCI trips. The cooktop is rated at 1000w according to the label. Do those GFCI outlets have a lower amperage rating than normal?

Thanks,
Ray
2016 Avenger 32BIT
21 REPLIES 21

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Revolver wrote:
Hello,
When I plug my electric cooktop into the outdoor GFCI outlet, the GFCI trips. The cooktop is rated at 1000w according to the label. Do those GFCI outlets have a lower amperage rating than normal?

Thanks,
Ray

No, it sounds more like a small amount of internal leakage inside the cooktop, possibly from a cracked element insulator - the GFI is likely reacting to this worn condition..
Can you explain more por favor? Does the crack itself fill with a somewhat conductive liquid causing the hot and ground to tickle each other?

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife's brother and family got rid of the propane outdoor appliances and went to all electric, they set up a table next the trailer and cook away, until a few years ago when it kept tripping the GFCI (it was on bathroom circuit, took them awhile to find it the first time).. they asked me how to figure out what is happening, I said to just run extension cord from power post to cook table.. most power posts have a 20amp outlet next the 30/50 so use it. No more problems..

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The GFCI OUTLET itself is not current sensitive as far as "Total Anps" is concerned

IT IS. however very sensitive as to amps in v/s amps out. Even a couple mA (1/1000th) of an amp) will trip it if there is any imbalance in the hot and neutral currents.

IN short. your cooktop is the problem. Likely a very tiny hot to case short.

Now a GFCI Circuit breaker (Combination curcuit breaker and GFCI. will trip on overload as well as imbalance.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Revolver wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Ray
GFCIs are NOT CBs and don't detect over current, but rather an imbalance of amps between the hot and neutral. Try the cooktop on another GFCI and if it doesn't trips - well you know. Otherwise it's the cooktop.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
GFCI outlets do go bad often or something in the cooktop once it heats up is causing the GFCI to trip. If you have another GFCI outlet inside the RV try the cooktop in it as a test to see if it trips.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Revolver wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Ray

No, it sounds more like a small amount of internal leakage inside the cooktop, possibly from a cracked element insulator - the GFI is likely reacting to this worn condition..

Revolver
Explorer
Explorer
Revolver wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Ray

I should clarify, it doesn't trip immediately when I plug it in. In fact, when I turn the cooktop on it begins to heat but not very much. Then the GFCI trips.
2016 Avenger 32BIT