cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parallel Yamaha EF2000 or Single EF/EU 3000

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I already have a single Yamaha EF2000, but need something with more power. I am looking for something to use as a backup to my Westerbeke 12k genset on my houseboat - mainly to run a fridge, chest freezer, power the inverter and charge the batteries on the houseboat. I know that running the smaller generator to charage the batteries (6 of them) will be much more fuel efficient than running the Westerbeke, which is my main concern.

Looking for opinions on what would be a better option. Getting a parallel kit and a 2nd EF2000 or selling it and buying either a Yamaha EF3000/Honda EU3000.

If I go parallel I will need a 2nd generator, parallel kit, extended run fuel tank (do they offer one for a Yamaha?). I see the advantages of going this route as more power available, easier for me to handle two smaller generators than one bigger one.

Single 3000 advantages would be lower cost (?), only one generator to maintain.

Am I missing anything?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
13 REPLIES 13

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Since you already have one EF2000, a second one is the logical choice. Besides, like many others, I like the versatility.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I may have been able to run just one 2000 with just that load, but add the converter that chargers our 6 battery bank, and it's a different story. As I said, there were times that I kicked the breaker on the gens when the converter was running.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi bionic,

I'm glad you found something that works well for you.

My Yamaha iSEB 3000 will do 2800 watts--so would have run all those loads.

I suspect you could have run just one generator except when using the microwave.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

I went with the parallel EF2000s. Glad I did. There were times when the load was too much for them, so I would certainly have had trouble with a 3000 unit.

When not running on eco mode, they would go a little over 4 hours on a single tank of fuel.

When the batteries were fully charged, the generators would run two RV fridges, one bar size fridge, a small chest freezer, and the microwave without trouble. I never tried the hot water heater, and I know they wouldn't have run the AC (a residential unit). Overall, I am very happy, although I can see the advantage that Honda would have with the fuel pump and ability to use an extended run tank.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I am leaning towards paralleling the EF2000 since I already have one of them.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
another aspect of it all--

My H 3000 will run 130amps worth of Vector chargers (not PF corrected)any more pops the breaker. That is ok on my 458AH bank at 130/458 = 28% charging rate in bulk stage. With six batts 660AH? you could do 130/660 = 19.6% charging rate, so somewhat slower.

Point being the two 2000 gens would let you run more amps worth of charger for a higher, faster charging rate. You can do more amps with PF corrected chargers too. So----with PF corrected chargers you could do the 6 with the 3000 in good time.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The dry weight on the Yamaha iSEB 3000 is 154.3 LBS. It holds about 29 pounds of fuel and a little over 1 lb of oil. Call it 185 lbs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

robert3
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Am I missing anything?

Weight/transport: Will you be able to secure and use the new set-up okay? Most 3k generators will weight 80-150 lbs. A pair of smaller 2k models are easier to lift/move.

Value-per-watt: Price of a pair of 2kw units vs. a single 3kw unit from the same manufacturer are just a little bit more $$, but a full 1kw of extra power. In most cases, a pair of 2kw units will give you more watts-per-buck.

Service: 2 units, = 2 spark plugs, two fuel tanks to drain, two air filters, etc.

Flexibility: Nice to have 2 gens for other purposes. When power goes out, a single 2kw unit will get you by, and the other unit can be shared with family / neighbors.

Fuel Usage: Comparing fuel burned vs. watts produced, and at least for the Honda EU- models, the Honda EU3000is was the most fuel efficient, providing 1-3000 watts using less fuel than a pair of Honda EU2000i units (but not by much).

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with two reds in parallel, just for the versatility. They are a lot easier to transport and move around than the much heavier 3000 watt models. Plus, you can get an extended run tank that can keep both going for long periods of time.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The blues don't have a fuel pump. So extended run tanks for them are.....Finicky. That's why I see lots of reds with them and no blues.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I like having two 2000 Honda generators with the parallel kit. It provides flexibility. If we plan to run the A/C I carry both. If no A/C I carry one.

At home or helping friends with projects I use one or both depending on how much power will be needed.

The two hondas while powering the A/C and other stuff go through a tank of gas in around 4 hours so I just refill and don't use an extended run tank.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd go for the Yamaha iSEB 3000. Smaller foot print than two generators and 1/2 the maintenance. 20.5 hours run time at 1/4 load, and 8 hours running "flat out". Factory remote start is available. It will power a 100 amp charger.

You may wish to consider adding some solar to the "mix".
Regards, Don

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It seem like if a 3K would do the job for you then it would be a lot less hassle than dealing with two gens and the extra cabling.