cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PORTABLE GENERATOR QUESTION

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
What size generator would work for running my microwave , tv , ect. in a travel trailer for short periods of time, dry camping?
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox
8 REPLIES 8

Daveevans
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Marv! I know I am a little late to the conversation but hopefully this helps someone out there.

As far as purchasing a generator for camping is concerned, there are two main factors to consider. The first is how much power you will require and the second is noise emissions.

POWER: If you do not require your generator to power a 13,500 BTU AC unit then something around the 2000W range should power most of your appliances without worry (coffee makers, hair dryers, CD players, laptop/phone charging etc). If you do require something that can power an AC unit on an RV you should be looking in the 3000W and above range for a 13,500 BTU unit. You can check out this usage chart that lists a number of common appliances and their power requirements. Add the totals of the appliances you plan on running in conjunction with one another and you will have your power requirement.

NOISE: No one wants their campsite to sound like a construction zone. If you are looking for quiet portable power you are in the market for an INVERTER generator (as opposed to a conventional generator). Inverters also produce a "cleaner" power source that is suitable for sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones. The inverting process produces a smoother sine wave that will not damage the microprocessors within these electronics.

Many people swear by Honda's and Yamaha's and they are the industry leaders when it comes to inverter generators BUT there are many alternative companies (ie Champion, WEN, Briggs and Stratton) putting forth very competitive products at a lesser price that merit consideration when shopping around for a generator.

I found this website to be extremely helpful when deciding which generator best suits your needs;

http://www.quietpowergenerators.com/

The "inverters vs generators" page is very insightful and arms you with the knowledge necessary to make an educated purchase. They also have detailed reviews of the latest and best selling inverter generators on the market.

I hope this helps Marv! Happy camping and all the best,
Dave

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Generac IQ 2000 small Quieter and cheaper than the Honda.

A review From a regular contributor to this forum

Good price and is very quiet,meets my needs.

It will handle all the small needs like my micrewave without all the noise of my on-board ONAN.

If I need A/C I can always fire up the ONAN but this thing does everything else.

I did a little test on my Generac IQ2000 with a sound meter, First running the ONAN,outside at about 2FT then inside both with the microwave on.

I found that inside the RV it was only 5 db less than outside,my ONAN sits under the dinette and there is some vibration too.
Then with the Generac at 2 ft the Generac was 10db quieter outside and inside it was only 2-3 db higher that the ambient noise and no vibration.

I then went to the empty neighboring campsite and did the same test.

With the ONAN on it measured 10 db higher than the ambient noise level and with the Generac only 2-3 db above ambient.

I think my neighbors would prefer the Generac when I have to charge my batteries or run the microwave for a short time,I know I like it much better

I see that Amazon has a great price on it.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The inrush of a microwave oven is formidable. I'll hazard a guess and say there isn't a 2,000 watt generator in existence that does not give a tiny grunt when a thousand watt microwave starts up. If I can tell my commercial 1,875 watt LG startup on a 12,500 watt Kubota / Kato, it raises my eyebrows when an attempt is made to squeeze a reserve margin down to near zero.

What happens on a hot day? Higher altitude? Higher percentage of ethanol? Engine gets out of tune or worn out? Batteries are low and the converter is robbing the kitty?

Points to muse for sure...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
$100 bucks will do it.
They go for $80 with coupons.

https://www.amazon.com/Running-Watts-Cycle-Recreational-Generator/dp/B00O39NQ96

900 watts peak, 700 watts continuous. Totally and completely inadequate.

On a positive note: As long as you only run one high draw item at a time, a 1000 watt generator is adequate. Barely. And the converter/charger counts as one of the high draw items if the batteries are not nearly fully charged. To run two high draw items, a 2000 watt generator. Two high draw items means the converter/charger and one other, like the microwave or the air conditioner. Be absolutely sure that the refrigerator and the water heater are set on propane only. Not on auto.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
$100 bucks will do it.

That noisemaker is to LOUD for campground usage.
If you're boondocking with no one around, it's fine but it won't run the microwave.

Get a 2000w INVERTER generator.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need a gen to run a TV! You need an inverter to do that kind of work off grid. The inverter runs the batteries down eventually, so now you need the gen to run your battery charger (converter in most cases for this) for as short a time as possible to get through till the next recharge.

Meanwhile, the microwave, (or toaster, kettle, hair dryer) can be run from a big inverter, OR just from the gen during gen hours as set by that campground.

BUT that 2000w gen can run a microwave or a converter charging your depleted batteries, but it can't do both. If the plan is to run the microwave off the gen with the shore power cable plugged into the gen (that works ok) you must have a way to turn off the converter, and be sure to have the fridge and water heater on gas ( not "auto"--put it to "gas" itself.)

If the batteries are already full then you can run the microwave and leave the converter on, while on the 2000w generator.

BTW, that Harbour Freight or whatever gen shown above looks a lot like a 900w job, which will be unsat for your needs.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
$100 bucks will do it.

MrWizard
IF they Air Conditioning is not needed
a 2000w will handle those needs
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s