cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generators with auto start capability.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am looking for a small portable generator with autostart capability. The only one I have found so far is the AIM models. Does anyone else know of any brands with this feature?

My goal is to have a backup generator automatically kick on if the shore power should fail to make sure my dogs still have AC if I am not around to turn it on myself.

Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you plan to handle choking or priming the engine for starting?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
Not easy to do. You would have to install a transfer switch with some control wiring besides the required power wiring. Not worth the trouble. When we go of and leave the cat we open all the windows and turn on a fan.

I know I have to install a transfer switch. An automatic transfer switch is $70 and 6 wires. Should take me 20 minutes to install. A control circuit is super easy with an autostart generator. You simply wire in a normally closed solenoid. It remains open while on shore power, and when shore power is lost, the switch closes and starts the generator.

It was 110F here yesterday. My dogs would die if shore power was lost and I wasn't here.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Not easy to do. You would have to install a transfer switch with some control wiring besides the required power wiring. Not worth the trouble. When we go of and leave the cat we open all the windows and turn on a fan.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.