cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generators with auto start capability.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am looking for a small portable generator with autostart capability. The only one I have found so far is the AIM models. Does anyone else know of any brands with this feature?

My goal is to have a backup generator automatically kick on if the shore power should fail to make sure my dogs still have AC if I am not around to turn it on myself.

Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Some inverter/charge/auto transfer units, Samlex EVO for example, have a generator starter output built in.

From page 74 EvolutionTM Series Inverter/Charger Owners Manual

4.7 AUTO GENERATOR START / STOP

Auto Generator Start / Stop function has been provided using โ€œCommonโ€ and Normally Open โ€œNOโ€ contacts

of Status Relay (14, Fig 2.1). The relay is SPDT Type with contacts rated at 3A, 125 VAC / 30 VDC. Appropriate
external Generator Auto Start / Stop Module will be required for using this function.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
GordonThree,

The Magnum hybrid inverter/charger does have a time delay built in when shore power is applied. I'm guessing the Victron does as well.

I would not purchase Magnum but would look at both Victron and Outback.

That delay isn't useful.

If the power isn't sure it wants to go out but instead waffles back and forth, I wouldn't want my generator restarting every 30 seconds.

Maybe outages are different in other countries? I've never experienced an unexpected outage the power just shut off and stayed off for an extended period. There has always been some waffling first.

The ATS has a delay built into it.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
GordonThree,

The Magnum hybrid inverter/charger does have a time delay built in when shore power is applied. I'm guessing the Victron does as well.

That delay isn't useful.

If the power isn't sure it wants to go out but instead waffles back and forth, I wouldn't want my generator restarting every 30 seconds.

Maybe outages are different in other countries? I've never experienced an unexpected outage the power just shut off and stayed off for an extended period. There has always been some waffling first.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
GordonThree,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
CoeyCoey wrote:

I don't think I will need one of those. I am simply going to have a relay that closes when shore power is lost and tells the generator to start. Then the ATS will kick over to generator power.

A simple relay is not sufficient. you'll likely damage your generator, inverter, air conditioner, etc.

You AT LEAST need a time delay relay, one that for example waits to energize 2 minutes after power is lost, and stays energized at least fifteen - thirty minutes after utility power is restored.

The Magnum AGS isn't very expensive, and likely Victron makes a similar unit for their inverter. Far easier than trying to DIY some sort of time delay circuit.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
There are many portable generators available that allow for an remote start. The problem is they are mostly louder generators, not the nice quiet inverter models. Most of Honda's entire line, for instance, has this feature. You'll need the matching wiring harness and probably a generator controller. Portables often use a 3 wire start system of which there are 2 different versions. They are unlike home generators that usually use a 2 wire start system. (of which there are also 2 versions).
Magnum energy makes a decent stand-alone Automatic Generator Start (AGS). If you happen to already have a Magnum inverter in your RV then you can use the network AGS. Schneider conext makes an AGS too but it will not operate "stand alone". But, again, if you happen to have a Schneider/Conext/Trace/Xantrex inverter in your RV you could use it.
There are other companies that make stand alone AGS boxes but I haven't had good luck with them in the past.

Yes, I am seeing that several of the smaller and more quiet portables might have remote start, but no auto start feature. Larger ones do. I think I will probably go with the AIM generator as it is portable, very quiet at 58db, and has the features built in that I am seeking. Should save me some money by not having to buy and wire in an AGS.

I am going to Victron because of their power assist feature. Some of the Magnums have it as well, but Victron seems to have more features for a lower price and better integration with their solar controllers.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
It seems like any generator with remote electric start would work. Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™d want to control it with a normally closed solenoid though. Power outages arenโ€™t always a clean off/on event. Most standby generator controls will have some delay built in on both the startup and shutdown process.

If you havenโ€™t already, you might check this product out. Itโ€™s intended for the common built in RV gen sets, like the Onan 5500. Thereโ€™s no reason it couldnโ€™t control a portable generator as well, as long as itโ€™s electric start.

Automatic Generator Start System โ€“ The ShorePower Monitor

:):)

I don't think I will need one of those. I am simply going to have a relay that closes when shore power is lost and tells the generator to start. Then the ATS will kick over to generator power.

I am going to use a Victron Multiplus as my inverter/charger. The great thing about that unit is it will supplement power to the system when it senses a drop in voltage. So, even though I will have a 2800W generator and the air conditioning needs 3900W for start up, the inverter will supply the extra power for that brief period. This means I would need a soft start device.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
do you have a link to the auto start generator? I have never heard of a portable with such a feature.

Yes, this is the first and only one I have seen with it built in. AIM has a decent reputation, but they also are known for denying a lot of warranty claims.

https://www.aimscorp.net/3200-watt-portable-inverter-generator.html

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
There are many portable generators available that allow for an remote start. The problem is they are mostly louder generators, not the nice quiet inverter models. Most of Honda's entire line, for instance, has this feature. You'll need the matching wiring harness and probably a generator controller. Portables often use a 3 wire start system of which there are 2 different versions. They are unlike home generators that usually use a 2 wire start system. (of which there are also 2 versions).
Magnum energy makes a decent stand-alone Automatic Generator Start (AGS). If you happen to already have a Magnum inverter in your RV then you can use the network AGS. Schneider conext makes an AGS too but it will not operate "stand alone". But, again, if you happen to have a Schneider/Conext/Trace/Xantrex inverter in your RV you could use it.
There are other companies that make stand alone AGS boxes but I haven't had good luck with them in the past.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
How do you plan to handle choking or priming the engine for starting?

How do the Champion and Honda with electric start do it? I'm guessing there's a servo motor inside that moves the choke lever?

No servo motor on my EU6500is, which has electric start.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like any generator with remote electric start would work. Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™d want to control it with a normally closed solenoid though. Power outages arenโ€™t always a clean off/on event. Most standby generator controls will have some delay built in on both the startup and shutdown process.

If you havenโ€™t already, you might check this product out. Itโ€™s intended for the common built in RV gen sets, like the Onan 5500. Thereโ€™s no reason it couldnโ€™t control a portable generator as well, as long as itโ€™s electric start.

Automatic Generator Start System โ€“ The ShorePower Monitor

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
do you have a link to the auto start generator? I have never heard of a portable with such a feature.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
GordonThree,

A solenoid is what the Pinealla remote electric start uses.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

How do the Champion and Honda with electric start do it? I'm guessing there's a servo motor inside that moves the choke lever? ... Priming, I didn't know that was still a thing on a modern engine.

Priming is still a thing but if it's not cold out (A/C weather) priming is generally not necessary for an engine that has not been sitting for a long time
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

How do the Champion and Honda with electric start do it? I'm guessing there's a servo motor inside that moves the choke lever? ... Priming, I didn't know that was still a thing on a modern engine.