cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems with yamaha ef2000is generator

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Yamaha ef2000is generator since Feb. of this year. It has a lot of trouble running the microwave which is only 900 watts. I have to go outside and push the button to the high setting for it to run and when it does it takes at least twice as long to cook something. Additionally โ€“ I have noticed that I have to make sure that there is nothing else plugged into my trailer like laptop, cell phone, little things like that before I even turn on my 900 watt electric percolator. I then go outside and again push the high speed running button go inside and start the percolator. After about 3 minutes the whole thing starts to shut down. The ef2000is is now barely running at all. All this just to try and run a 900 watt electric percolator. What is up. Any ideas would be helpful. I am going crazy. Is the model just a gutless little generator?
21 REPLIES 21

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
I kept digging for more information on this and finally came up with this info. For every 1000 foot elevation gain you loose between 3 and 3.5 percent power on any generator. Makes a big difference on what I do in my trailer while camped at elevation. So I will get by for about 4 months out of the year on not using anything that requires a power ramp up on the generator. More like traditional camping. Changing the jet turns out to be not needed after finding this out. I just blew $87.00 on that change out. Then another $87.00 to change it back. What a lesson I am learning.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Having a generator set up to run at altitude, and the loss of capacity are two different animals. You still lose the capacity for any generator. The Onan manual for my generator explains the loss percentage be expected at higher altitudes.

By the way; we have camped in Cedar City while visiting national and state parks in that area. Nice restaurants, and people there.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
Must not. I just had it adjusted at a Yamaha dealer. They are the ones that replaced the jet for altitude. I have a Honda 1000 and it has been running great at lower and higher altitudes with no adjustment necessary. I should have stayed with Honda!

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
You may be losing 20 to 25% capacity at that altitude. Does the generator have an altitude adjustment to run the engine properly?
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer Time IMHO...

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
I had the unit re-jetted for the altitude. Runs better but.... when I turn off the converter and all else I can think of and turn on a simple 850 watt toaster I get 99 volts and 597 watts. And this is when I go outside and turn on full power. All I can say is I not not impressed with Yamaha generators. Maybe they are all like that. A lot of PR and that is all you get. A real piece of work!

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
I am taking it in to a Yamaha dealer/repair in Duck Creek Village tomorrow. I have tried it all and it still bogs down to a trickle. I disconnected all plugs from the generator and then just plugged in a electric percolator into the gen plug and ran at high. As soon as I turned it on the same thing happened. So it is the gen. It has turned into a expensive 400/500 watt type of generator.Geeez.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
We purchase one in Jan, used it on ECO mode during cloudy days. Have no issue with running M-Wave or other items. Use Refrig on Propane, water heater on propane. Set Xantrex to 10amps shore power.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
OK โ€“ I will do that. I really appreciate the help.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
gary.ramsey2 wrote:
All interesting comments. The only thing I have on would be the converter. That could be charging the battery. Hot water heater is off, fridge is on propane. No lights on. Only other thing is the gas detector is on. I am camping at 7300 ft. elevation could that be the problem as well? I started thinking a fuel filter could be getting clogged? Thanks for all of the advice.

If the converter is kicking in, that's the likely culprit. Turn it off if you can.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Higher altitude does have a impact. The generator may need different jets to run properly and even if it has them, the lack of oxygen reduces output. As I said I have to chose loads at high altitude (9-10,000 ft), I don't have to at 5280 ft. The generator will run both the AC and converter just fine.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
I will get a "Kill-A-Watt". What a cool tool to have anyway. Thanks.

gary_ramsey2
Explorer
Explorer
All interesting comments. The only thing I have on would be the converter. That could be charging the battery. Hot water heater is off, fridge is on propane. No lights on. Only other thing is the gas detector is on. I am camping at 7300 ft. elevation could that be the problem as well? I started thinking a fuel filter could be getting clogged? Thanks for all of the advice.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
gary.ramsey2 wrote:
I have had the Yamaha ef2000is generator since Feb. of this year. It has a lot of trouble running the microwave which is only 900 watts.

Get a Kill-A-Watt and learn that way more than 900W are input to the 900W cooking power MW. My 700W MW uses 1200W.

HTH;
John