cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about powering outside kitchen fridge

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i have a basic question about options for powering "residential 110v" mini fridge on the road.

we traded in our previous 1 slide TT last week for a larger multi slide TT. previous TT had nice large residential fridge that worked great for us. pack it full and head out. our trips are anywhere from 2 hours to 8 hours. we had a mini fridge in outside kitchen but never used it until we were on shore power. we had a 1200 inverter running the fridge on the road. we do not boondock or dry camp.

new TT has rv fridge which i don't mind except it has much less storage capacity. the outside kitchen with this TT is decent size 3.2 cubic feet. no current inverter in TT

i could get by packing cold food in a cooler and bringing along but
im bouncing ideas around to use the mini fridge for extra cold storage on the road.

options im thinking.
1. inverter install in front storage bay area behind batteries mounted on tongue. (2 deep cycle 12volt hybrids) then running wire to dedicated outlet direct from inverter to outdoor kitchen.

2. i've been browsing small "battery" generators up to 500 watts. place one in outside kitchen and run mini fridge off it while on the road. i know run time won't be that long but fridge door has space for a tall bottle. maybe putting frozen water bottle there to help cool it possibly helping by compressor not running as much to extend battery life. i know from experience the mini fridges warm up fast in hot weather with no power.

the specs in the mini fridge manual notes
ELEC 115V /60HZ .8A

any thoughts from anyone who has maybe done something similar to this?
10 REPLIES 10

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Never had an issue with heating up the compartment, runs all summer long even when not camping. Mostly beverages when traveling, left overs when at campsite. I also use frozen bottles and frozen meat for trip to help keep things cool while traveling.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
cyntdon2010 wrote:
Save your money. our camper is plugged in and drinks loaded 24 hour before.

We freeze water bottles in outdoor kitchen mini frig. freeze area. Never had an issue defrosting.

While all the answers are good, I think this is the best one. As long as you stock a couple days prior to leaving and everything is down to proper temp, if your only traveling 2-8 hours, you will be fine. Fridges today are insulated very well and if you don't open them and they are not having to cool warm items, they will stay acceptably cold for 8 hours easily. For drinks, condiments, etc, if you have everything mid-high 30's before leaving, it won't rise above mid to high 40's after 8 hours in 90 degree heat. If you have anything frozen you can put in it that you need to thaw, that helps also. I've put frozen steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chops, etc in mine and not turned it on because I was out of propane until I got to the campground 4-5 hours away and got my tanks swapped out. Stuff was still frozen and just starting to thaw.

What gets people in trouble is stopping on the way and going grocery shopping and opening the door and putting in a bunch of stuff that isn't down to temp and then expecting the camper fridge to bring the temp down 20 degree's.

All that said, the inverter and a couple extra batteries is a great safe guard and will be a benefit if you take a longer trip or have an emergency that requires the trip be be longer than planned before you can plug in.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mbiviano wrote:
I run mine consistently with the door closed and haven't had a problem. Haven't noticed heat build up either. I'm not sure how it could be expected that you would leave the door open at all times when running it.

It would not surprise me if the "engineers" didn't even consider heat. Most of the units I have seen had no way to run the firdges while traveling so naturally we wondered if it would work closed up or was even inteded to be run that way. Sounds like it works ok.

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
I run mine consistently with the door closed and haven't had a problem. Haven't noticed heat build up either. I'm not sure how it could be expected that you would leave the door open at all times when running it.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've wondered the same thing. Will it make so much heat with the door shut that it becomes a problem?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had the outside kitchen style camper before, but I have done a lot of reading and try to keep up with things, way beyond the scope of my own camper.

But, if I remember right, are these small residential refrigerators even able to be run in such an enclosed space when the kitchen is all closed up? Without some kind of ventilation inside the enclosed outside kitchen, wouldn't the heat produced from the refrigerator itself just get trapped in that compartment area. The colder the inside of the refrigerator got, the hotter the outside of it got, until it reaches a point where the heat build up will kill the refrigerator completely?

Like I said, I've never owned one, so I don't know, but there must be some logical reason why manufacturers do not supply power to those refrigerators in those closed and sealed compartments?

Something to think about? Has anyone found a way to actually run the refrigerator inside that compartment with it all closed up? What's the outcome?

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Save your money. our camper is plugged in and drinks loaded 24 hour before.

We freeze water bottles in outdoor kitchen mini frig. freeze area. Never had an issue defrosting.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
A 500W inverter would probably have trouble starting the compressor in the dorm fridge. Running it once started would not be a problem. The compressor might not like MSW power any too well.

CONCUR on both statements.

I know there is a BIG price difference, but you would be much better off with a 750W-1000W pure sine wave inverter.

Also, those mini-frdges have notoriously poor insulation.

Thank you both for confirming what I was thinking. Previous TT had a xantrex 1200 pure sine wave and it work flawlessly for the 18 months we used it with 2 12v hybrids on a few long drives and campground power outages a couple of times. Price will be more but it would be good long term investment

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
A 500W inverter would probably have trouble starting the compressor in the dorm fridge. Running it once started would not be a problem. The compressor might not like MSW power any too well.

CONCUR on both statements.

I know there is a BIG price difference, but you would be much better off with a 750W-1000W pure sine wave inverter.

Also, those mini-frdges have notoriously poor insulation.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget the battery generator thingy. That's nothing more than a (usually smallish) 12V battery and a (usually cheapish) MSW inverter in a single plastic box with a handle. You will get much better battery life from the trailer's house batteries, and be able to install a better inverter as well.

(Don't be surprised if you find the mini fridge uses almost the same amount of power as your full-sized residential fridge. Most are not all that efficient comparatively speaking.)