cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on "belly type" air conditioner

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to prepare my MIL's 2002 Alfa Gold 5th wheel for sale (she's widowed now and living in the 5er is becoming an issue). This model of 5er has a belly type AC unit and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with those type units. We're still trying to find the manuals on all the trailer equipment but until we find them I'm asking questions of the RV community.

Does this type of AC allow you to recharge the refrigerant? The unit still works but the cooling is really weak and it seems like after 17 years on the road a recharge might be in order. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Outta my way, we're goin campin!
'18 Salem Cruise Lite 210RBXL
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4
9 REPLIES 9

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that info Doug. I know my MIL looked into getting it worked on a couple years ago and the guy she talked to wanted $1500 just to diagnose what might be wrong.

Just one more thing to check off the fix it or forget it list (check goes to forget it)
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have yet to see a RVP basement unit on a slide out track. ALL I have seen you have to drop them to do some work. Some you can get to the controls and capacitors without dropping them. NONE will have a charge port. They are sealed just like roof top units. Our shop also will not work on them. Most customers do not like to pay the extra labor that is involved, so we decline to work on them. Doug

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
A 2002 Alfa Gold 5th wheel isn’t worth that much. Is all this “repairing” worth your time and effort? Particularly after this couple paid little in “rent” for years and years?

This is my MIL rig - she is 85 years old and will be moving into a senior living facility. The rig is her last asset so we want to get as much as we can so she will actually have a few dollars in the bank . Every little bit helps...
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
So I have done some searches and I can't say I've found much technical info on the specific AC unit she has. However, it sounds like the basement AC units in an Alfa are NOT on a slide out rack and you actually have to put the trailer up on a rack to raise it high enough to lower the AC unit out where you can work on it. If that's the case then this is probably a nonstarter for my working on it. 😞
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
larry2c wrote:
Thanks for that info Chris. Would I be cleaning the condenser fins or is it more than that?

Clean the condenser fins then let it run awhile & see.
If it actually needs refrigerant , you have a leak somewhere. Any hvac tech can add a " piercing valve " to check pressures, find and fix leak.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 2002 Alfa Gold 5th wheel isn’t worth that much. Is all this “repairing” worth your time and effort? Particularly after this couple paid little in “rent” for years and years?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
search alfa air conditioner, you will find all the info on repair and removal of unit.
Ken

larry2c
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that info Chris. Would I be cleaning the condenser fins or is it more than that?
'11 F150 SCREW 4X4

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
They are called basement air conditioners, and typically do not have provisions for adding refrigerant, but they hold so little, if they leak they are usually empty.
A good cleaning would likely do the trick.
-- Chris Bryant