cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about power for overnighting

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the search feature, but I didn't find what I am looking for. My wife and I travel with a 5er and we do not have a generator, so overnighting on a parking lot in hot weather is not an option for us. What setup would I need in order to be able to run a fan in the bedroom all night and a coffee maker the next morning? Running the 13.5 BTU AC in the bedroom overnight plus the coffee maker the next morning would be even better, so what setup would I need to be able to do that?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison
68 REPLIES 68

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Either stay home, or buy a generator if you want to camp in hot weather.
And face reality, you DO NOT run anything w/ a heating element when dry camping, unless you join the "big straps" and have 1000 watts of solar, and a huge inverter, and a huge battery bank.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a drip coffeemaker with a top filter basket, just heat up a pan of water on the stove and pour it into the basket to make your coffee.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
RnTBnB wrote:
I tried the search feature, but I didn't find what I am looking for. My wife and I travel with a 5er and we do not have a generator, so overnighting on a parking lot in hot weather is not an option for us. What setup would I need in order to be able to run a fan in the bedroom all night and a coffee maker the next morning? Running the 13.5 BTU AC in the bedroom overnight plus the coffee maker the next morning would be even better, so what setup would I need to be able to do that?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Pull-Thru campground with electrical power.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
3000 watts of generator will start a 13.5k A/C unit and run it just fine. 4000 watts should start a 15k A/C unit. General "quiet" hours while camping are 10 pm to 6 am for the generator needing to be shut down and turned off. So running the A/C during those hours, short of being tied in to a power pedestal, is not going to be happening via a generator.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RnTBnB wrote:
Running the 13.5 BTU AC in the bedroom overnight plus the coffee maker the next morning would be even better, so what setup would I need to be able to do that?
A trailer full of charged batteries and a big inverter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
To ventilate the bedroom I recommend a Fantastic Fan(or equivalent) in one of the vents to pull cool air into the bedroom vent or window. Add a 12v fan for additional circulation. Make coffee on the stove or French press etc. A second battery should be enough. Need 1000w to 2000w inverter to make electric coffee from the battery. Best to have 4 batteries for this but 2 might squeak by.

Or 2000w generator should make electric coffee fine.

Or you need 3000 to 4000 watts of generator to run the air and/or the coffee.
Generally not practical to run the air conditioner from a battery.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have posted.

Generator.... for air conditioner

Inverter and batteries for fan and coffee

Ryobi sells a battery operated fan that will last many hours... they show 10 hours but we only get about 6 hours.

In our bedroom over the bed we have a Fantastic Vent fan which we often use like a ceiling fan it will pull in smells when you're parked in a truck or rest stop. It runs off of our four house batteries.

MrWizard
There is only one way to run 13k A/C for more than a few minutes
And that is a generator

But you can run a fan all night from batteries
Either a 12v fan direct or 120v fans from a 300w inverter
You need at least (2) batteries and (4) would be better
We have several 6" clamp on desk top type fans and a 20" box fan

For coffee you need (4) batteries and a 1200~1500w inverter
Coffee maker is around 900~1100w for a drip maker
1500w for a kuerig or similar
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Old percolator on the stove top would solve the coffee issue. A small invertor for the fan. The rest of the stuff you want to run seems like it is not possible without a gen.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"