cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Hot" smell.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
On our latest trip in our 2015 Winnebago Vista, we were driving through New Mexico and began smelling something hot. We immediately pulled over and I made a mad search for something that might be burning. The only thing that got burnt was my hand when I accidently touched the coil on the back side of our Norcold 1200 fridge. I determined the smell was coming from overheated paint on the coils. Further examination showed the two fans up at the top of the fridge compartment were not running. How long this had been the case I do not know. Checking the fridge/freeze temps showed them both about 10 degrees higher than they should have been. What we noticed on the rest of the trip was that as long as we did not exceed 65 MPH (we were going 70 in NM to keep out of the way of the 75 MPH+ traffic in that wide open state) we did not get the smell and the fridge/freezer returned to proper temp. For some reason either the smell was not getting forced into the coach at the lower speed of 65 or 70 was stopping what little convection flow existed without the fans. We made it a point to just go 65 the rest of the way home (and had no smell) and once there, I determined the little fan thermostat screwed to the top coil had failed. Jumping it proved the fans were OK. Replaced the thermostat. Next trip through a high speed limit state should show if the problem is fixed!
0 REPLIES 0