cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ran my Onan without oil

OSCBRADLEY
Explorer
Explorer
I made a horrible error. I drained the oil in my generator with the intent to run right out, grab some new oil and put it in. Nope, got sidetracked and forgot all about it until a few weeks later. Started up the genny, it ran for a few minutes and shut down. After I figured out why, I added oil and tried to get it running. It seemed to turn over ok but wouldn't catch. I am REALLY hoping there is a sensor switch of some type that turned off the genny before irreparable damage occurred and just needs to be reset. I'm sure nobody has done this but would anyone have any insight on what the problems i am looking at could be?
2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
24 REPLIES 24

OSCBRADLEY
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.....sorry I have not officially had it checked out yet. I live in Houston and have been a little preoccupied with the storm and such. Might be a while before I get around to, I just wanted to get a feel for how much damage I had done to it. I did put some 15 40 oil in it and it does seem to want to try and start (turns over)but never catches.
2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must have been ok, or the OP would be carping about it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
So whatever happened to the engine ??

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Ouch. That's why I ALWAYS check the oil before I start my generator.
Hopefully the damage isn't too severe. Please keep us updated on your situation.

Way too anal... Do you pop your hood everytime you start your car?

Isn't that what an 'idiot' light is for??? To tell the idiot behind the wheel something is amiss? No point in checking your oil level each time you start your buggy (unless it's an oil burner) because you know your own car, truck or RV.

Because I'm a mechanical person, I like to look under the hood and check stuff, but not every time I start my buggy. I do kick the tires to see if any are low (kicking comes from experience), I can tell by a kick if one is low.... Do I check the oil in my generator each time I use it...nada to that too. Don't use any, but then, I know I filled it to the full mark last time I changed it too.

Far as a lunched engine in the Onan, anyone with a bit of experience / common sense (a rarity today) can buy and dress a short block, hard part will be seperating the generator head from the crankshaft because it's a taper fit, it's not straight shaft keyed. That might take a specialized tool, but then again, might not. Just parts replacement, old shot block to new block and the pistons, crank and cam are already installed. Just like a child's coloring book, but engine parts instead.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I check my oil weekly and that would be every time I start the car. I compound my anality by doing a walk-around lights check. Send round the boys with the zip-up-the-rear Brooks Brothers.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Fill it with Mobil 1 and run it. If it runs for a few minutes, shut it down and change the oil with same. Run it and put a load on it.....let us know how it turned out.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Hopefully the damage isn't too severe. Please keep us updated on your situation.

Way too anal... Do you pop your hood everytime you start your car?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Did this a few years ago with my Honda lawnmower. Had mowed about half the lawn and noticed something wasnt right. Got really hot... Let it cool, filled with oil and it's still running strong. Starts on first pull.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
OSCBRADLEY wrote:
I am REALLY hoping there is a sensor switch of some type that turned off the genny before irreparable damage occurred and just needs to be reset.

The good news is this: When I read the subject line my first thought was "Impossible"

BUt then I understood when I read IT DID NOT START (Or at least run)

Why did I think "Impossible"? There **IS** a Low oil sensor.. Not resettable though. Or rather to reset.. just add oil.

Can you verify your information?
MY Onan literature for the NEW Cummins/Onan no longer lists a low oil safety
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping someone else would note this.

Safeties cut off the ignition. No spark / no start.

Pull spark plug wire and check spark

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
OSCBRADLEY wrote:
I am REALLY hoping there is a sensor switch of some type that turned off the genny before irreparable damage occurred and just needs to be reset.

The good news is this: When I read the subject line my first thought was "Impossible"

BUt then I understood when I read IT DID NOT START (Or at least run)

Why did I think "Impossible"? There **IS** a Low oil sensor.. Not resettable though. Or rather to reset.. just add oil.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always try not to be too hard on myself,....(in my dreams)..:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
An indigenous lady whom I hired to help with household chores forgot to purchase mirodyne vegetable soak disinfectant. When I asked the Septuagenarian about it... she retorted:

"Senor! The head can hold only so much information" she drew a line across her nostrils.

"The information keeps going in here" she pointed to her ear

"Until the head fills up"

"Then something unimportant enters here" pointing again to her ear

"And pushes out something really important out of there" motioning to her other ear.

After I picked myself up off the floor, there she stood with hands on hips.

How in the world can you argue against logic like that ๐Ÿ™‚