cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received new vehicle with nail implanted in tire-maybe.

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
Picture this. Today my dealership switched the veh. tires to winter tires which go into their storage area until sping 2021. This is a new car less the 2 months old. It came from the GTA (Toronto) area and already had approx.700 km. on it before I took possesion. We live
just outside Ottawa, Canada.

The tire guy noted a nail in one tire and said no plug would work as a good fix. My new car now has only 2888 km. and my position is -about 1/3 of that was there already before I received it. So, was the nail there already and should I just shut up and have that bad tire replaced at my costs. All comments and are welcome.
BB
BOSTON BLK
22 REPLIES 22

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
If the hole is in the tread even, if it is close to the side wall, plug it. If it holds, your ahead. If it doesn't, plug it again to get you to the shop to buy a new tire.

Had tires replaced at University Volkswagen in Albuquerque, NM, about a year ago. When the mechanic diagnosed a new vibration to one of the new tires failing, I learned that the dealer doesn't provide any warranty past road hazard. All other warranty items have to be handled by the tire manufacturer. I learned my lesson and went to a local tire dealer who will stand behind what they sell for the replacement. Just saying.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
There were several homes in my neighbor being renovated and I apparently ran over a screw (I'm sure it came from there) and I started getting a low warning on the dash.

I took it to America's tire and they patched it. The tire is a run-flat so a thick rubber stuff was trying to come out of the hole. Well, the patch didn't work, the tire slowly went flat in the garage.

I called the dealer as the car is/was still under warranty and he told me you can't fix run-flats, the car doesn't have a spare. So, I had to buy a new tire.

I didn't want to have the car towed so I found a screw in my toolbox and screwed the screw into the hole. I aired up the tire to 10 lbs. over normal and it didn't lose any air overnight.

So, I drove the car to the dealer and bought a new tire.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Repairable Tires
A tire can be repaired if:

It is punctured within the puncture repair area of the tire (pictured under the "non-repairable tire" section below)
The sidewall and the shoulder of a tire cannot be repaired per TIA and USTMA guidelines
The puncture doesn’t measure more than 1/4 of an inch in diameter
The repairs do not overlap or if the injuries are not directly across from each other

Tire Repair Process
Remove tire from the rim
Thorough inspection of both the inside and outside of the tire
Although a tire may appear to be a simple fix from the outside, the bottom half of the nail could have caused potential damage to the interior sidewall
Once deemed repairable, trim the puncture area of damaged cables to clean and stabilize the area
From the inside out, pull a rubber stem through the puncture area sealing off the inside of the tire
From the inside, buff the puncture area then apply special vulcanizing glue
A patch is then installed on the inner liner over the puncture area causing a chemical reaction
Tire is then mounted back on the rim, inflated to the proper tire pressure and the repair is checked for leaks
This procedure takes 60-90 minutes to be done properly.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Check your purchase paperwork. Most new vehicles have tire warranties from dealer as part of their mark up “fees”.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you cheered up my day I'm not the only one just finished dinner and takeout Place didn't put my darn cup of white chowder in there now I don't feel so bad with your problems:B
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would take it to a different tire dealer for evaluation. I had a low tire on my truck a few years ago and the tire guy found a steel rod 1/4” diameter and about 8” long in the tire. He used a combo plug/patch. Inserted from inside the tire the patch covered the hole and the plug filled the hole. Lasted until the tire wore out. And it wore evenly along with the other 3 tires.

But if in or very near the sidewall then you are out of luck. Dealer not likely to help after you put that many kilometers on it.

dedmiston
Here's a decent plug kit on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y51VKMV/

Throw away the plugs that come with it and get the Blackjacks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P70RB0/

Get a jar of rubber cement too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
If you think it can be plugged, go to Amazon and get yourself a plug kit. The plugs that come with most kits aren't that great, but you can buy Blackjack plugs on Amazon too.

Everyone should travel with a plug kit. The first one will be hard, but you'll get the hang of it.

I keep a plug kit in my truck, one in the fiver, and another one in our off-road car. The off-road car is the most fun. Everyone stands around and gawks while you deal with the plug, and they try to guess how many plugs it will take. The most I've ever seen in one puncture was six plugs. I'm glad it wasn't me. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
I do not want to feel scummy. So, I will bit the bullet (nail) and pay the full price of a new replacement. No questions asked.
BB
BOSTON BLK

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
boston blacky wrote:
First things first - thank you for your replies. I will double check to see if I can swap the repaired summer tire for the spare. Next, I 3will ask the dealer to cover half the cost or at least 1/3-as they (dealership) delivered the vehicle into my posession with 700 km. already on it. So, the nail could have been there at the time of delivery. Maybe!!
BB

Don't expect the dealer to cover any of the cost. They undoubtedly do a pre-sale inspection; whether or not that would thoroughly cover the tire condition is another question, but I've no doubt they would assert they delivered to you a car with good tires all around, and you have absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise. Personally, I'd feel a bit scummy even asking them to do so, since road damage is not a defect in materials or workmanship.

Tire problems happen on occasion; it's a simple fact of vehicle ownership and driving on the open road.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“You may be able to talk that 16 year old with a plug kit to do it,...”

Not wise. Not safe. IF you have a blowout, may it not harm you...or others.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
This guy that told you that a nail in a tire couldn't be fixed with a plug, is full of it, unless the hole is in the side wall as stated earlier.
He's trying to sell you a tire unnecessarily, he probably sidelines as an RV salesman.
No special effort to plug a nail hole, any 16 year old with a plug kit is capable of plugging a tire.
Also if you have a bolt rather than a nail, it may be another story.

Most tire shops will refuse to repair a tire when the hole is within a half inch or so of the edge of the tread.

You may be able to talk that 16 year old with a plug kit to do it, but if you want a safe (and long lasting) repair, industry standards say don't plug a hole in the tread shoulder area.

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
First things first - thank you for your replies. I will double check to see if I can swap the repaired summer tire for the spare. Next, I 3will ask the dealer to cover half the cost or at least 1/3-as they (dealership) delivered the vehicle into my posession with 700 km. already on it. So, the nail could have been there at the time of delivery. Maybe!!
BB
BOSTON BLK

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
EGADS this brought back memories of the worst road hazard damage I ever saw. New Fors ½ ton not long from the dealer. Ran over a makeshift skeleton of ½ inch rebar. It tore up three of four tires brake hoses and brake lines, transmission cooler lines, emergency brake cable and transmission shift linkage. In México. I played watch man as he went to find a tow truck.

The new baby buggy 18" to 24" tires. Are repairs the same as on normal tires? Some tires are priced out of this world at Costco. Four hundred dollars?