cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refer fans for improved cooling...what are the best options?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Norcold N843 8cf refer with ice maker. It works well. However, when ambient temps get up to 95-105F, it struggles to stay cold. It will only cool to 46F when ambient temps are at 100F and side of RV with refer is directly facing sun.

So, since I can't control weather, and can't always predict how my RV will be parked when visiting campgrounds (facing sun), I want to ensure that my refer has all the things it needs to stay as cold as possible.

I've read about two types of fans installed to assist with cooling...

1. A fan on the evaporator (inside refer) to move the cool air around on the inside of refer and prevent frost build up on evaporator fins

2. Fans on rear on refer between the back side of refer and exterior RV side. These are used to assist with moving hot air up and out of roof vent.

The rear fans can be difficult to install if choosing to mount above coils since access is only through exterior vent lid (without removing refer).

Questions...

REAR FANS:

1. Where should rear fans be placed for most effective outcome? Above coils, on coils, below coils, etc?

2. Which fans have been proven to be most effective...computer fans, Valterra type of fan, etc?

3. Should fans be thermostatically controlled or manually with a on/off switch, or both?

4. How should these fans be wired? 12V power and ground from refer wiring OR separate 12V and ground wiring pulled from somewhere else?

INSIDE FANS:

1. should these fans be the hard wired ones that are wired to inside light OR the D battery operated type, or is there something else?

2. Are inside fans necessary or can good results be had with only the rear fans

Any other tips, suggestions or ???

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
32 REPLIES 32

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 92mm DELTA server fans (24 watts each!) I can't get at the top of the coil, or rather, I don't want to pull the fridge so I can get in there.

My plan is to mount them inside the top vent "hole", facing out the grill. Hot air pours out of that hole, so fans should help it along.

They'll be thermostatically speed controlled, and have an on/off switch.

So far, it's been so cold here in Michigan, the fridge barely has to run! ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use two computer fans out side ,both move about 75cfm each ,my exhaust for the frig is on the side of the rv.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you use both types of fans. The ext. fan shd be both thermo and switch controlled. I would use the type fan that is moveing the most air at the slowest speed. Noise is also a factor to consider.