Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator not working

Honorbuilt22
Explorer
Explorer
Hi team!

I've just bought a second hand '94 Ford Econoline conversion. It's converted by a company called Honorbuilt. It's a It's a Dometic RM2310 3-way system, but it's currently only working when running when plugged directly into an AC power outlet.

Is there some way you think I could fix it myself? Are there common issues with running RV refrigerators off propane and/or the 12V battery?

Thank you so much!
11 REPLIES 11

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The 2310 is a tiny manual controlled refrigerator. If it cools on 120 volt but not propane, either the burner and flue need cleaning, orifice needs cleaning, lp pressure is bad.. None of those is expensive or hard to fix.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget propane.
First hook a 12 volt test light (Small lamp like a dash light will do) in parallel with the gas colenoid.. Does the light come on (then go off) likely 3 times before teh FAULT light comes on?

IF so that circuit is working

DO you smell gas or hear the solenoid CLICK (have a partner turn it on and off by the way) If so anotehr good

Do you hear the ignightor sparking? If so that's good

Does the flame show up IF so still good.. If not clogged orifice is a good bet remove and clean and try again.

If the flame is up and solid... Well now we are into thermocouple and control board.. If it's a "Single wire" ignition system wher the spark rod and thermocouple are the same item.. My bet is the control board. but.. bet is the key word. I've been wrong in the past.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Maintcpo
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been active here in a few years but what you describe is a bad cooling unit this can get expensive to replace. Can do yourself if you are handy saves a lot of labor cost. just time consuming and be careful!
Dan, Ret Navy CPO
Minnie The Wife Extraordinaire
2015 Sundance 245RL
2012 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 DSL

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And remember

32 degrees minus 5 is ice

65 degrees minus 10 is food poisoning.

You need a thermometer. Grocery store item

Honorbuilt22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! It's still running and it seems to all be cooling down when plugged in to an outlet.

So, any advice on what could be happening when it's running off propane and the battery and how I could fix it?

Thank you so much!!

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
It can take up to 8 hours or so to cool the fridge down in either mode. The freezer cools much faster.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Honorbuilt22
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I tried plugging the unit directly into an outlet again and changing the setting to "Electric" and it seems to work okay (although so far it seems only the freezer is working at the top but not the refrigerator part). Any hints on getting it to run off propane or the battery?

Thank you very very much - we would appreciate any light you could shed on the matter!!

Honorbuilt22
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, image links didn't work:

https://ibb.co/hezNde
https://ibb.co/hJZNde

Honorbuilt22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!

The flame definitely lights, so it's igniting fine. I'm currently testing it plugged in directly to a power outlet. If you look at the attached images, the tube on the right is warm, so are the tubes up the top of the unit.

I don't see any yellow stains.

Any more hints?

Thanks very much!

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
two things to look at burner tube and igniter as Ava stated. Also could be control board. I would focus on if its getting propane and igniter and burner tube first
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
If propane does not light, the burner and igniter may need to be cleaned out, and vehicle must be close to level. When plugged in, the tube where the gas flame would go, the electric heater goes in that tube and should get warm. Look for any yellow coloured stains around the pipes which indicates the refrigerant has leaked out. Good luck.