cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator won't stay lit Rm2652

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I knew reefers but this is a bear. Fridge will stay lit up to an hour then off w check light.

Thermocouple is good w millivolts at 36. Flue seems clear. Not dropping bits of rust. Starts fast so seems igniter ok. The solenoid seems to get hot.

The jet and burner are clean.

Could it be the board? Considering it will remain on for a variable period of time , hoping minor.

Fridge works great on dc or ac. Only propane prob

Thx!
10 REPLIES 10

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Will do. I bought their water heater board before and it was wonderful. This makes me a repeat customer for Dinosaur!

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through all this with that exact fridge. Just replace the board with a dinosaur board. That's most likely the problem, and if not, you've done a great upgrade anyway. I went through all kinds of grief and expense before replacing my board. Now have Dinosaurs on hot water heater, furnace, and fridge, and all are flawlessl now. Good luck!
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

Flyfasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

The BOARD has no affect on cooling reliability and consistant colder temps. ALL it does is turn the Heat source ON and OFF, relying on the Inside Temp Sensor. Now the 30 second restart by Dinosaur is a neat feature, but it is extremely RARE for outside wind conditions to blow out the flame. Doug

Well, the new board has an auxiliary temperature adjustment pot on it that allows me to set a colder temperature than the front panel on the fridge alone, so yes it does have an effect. And yes it is rare for wind conditions to blow out the flame, but a 20+ mph wind directly into the fridge side of my motorhome will blow it out, as has happened on a few occasions. Both of these benefits of the new board are useful to me, so I posted them in the event they might be useful to the OP.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Flyfasteddie wrote:
I had similar problems a few years ago with my 1991 fridge. Everything else was fine but I would have random shut-offs on propane.

I replaced the board and not only did the problems vanish, but in a situation where a strong wind does blow the flame out, the Dinosaur board is smart enough to turn the fridge back on after 30 seconds or so, rather than just shutting down until you manually reset it (usually after being gone from camp for 8 hours)

The fridge also has much cooler and more consistent temperature control than it ever did with the original board. It was highly worth it for me.

The BOARD has no affect on cooling reliability and consistant colder temps. ALL it does is turn the Heat source ON and OFF, relying on the Inside Temp Sensor. Now the 30 second restart by Dinosaur is a neat feature, but it is extremely RARE for outside wind conditions to blow out the flame. Doug

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome. Thank you all.

Flyfasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar problems a few years ago with my 1991 fridge. Everything else was fine but I would have random shut-offs on propane.

I replaced the board and not only did the problems vanish, but in a situation where a strong wind does blow the flame out, the Dinosaur board is smart enough to turn the fridge back on after 30 seconds or so, rather than just shutting down until you manually reset it (usually after being gone from camp for 8 hours)

The fridge also has much cooler and more consistent temperature control than it ever did with the original board. It was highly worth it for me.

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Rm2607. Correction.

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Yellow. $110 sure? I now no guar.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You still have the 1996? If so, LOOK at the rear control board. If all the circuits/resistors and such are encased in beige/yellow epoxy, the problem is the control board. Replace it. If the board is greenish epoxy then more testing is required. The OLD Dometic boards from about 1993 until 1998 were defective. Intermittent check light was the symptom. It could NEVER happen or it may be hours/days/weeks before it happens. In your case 20 years. Doug