cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof sealant over existing mastic/caulk??

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I get a few leaks from antenna handle & nearby A/C vent ONLY when it rains really hard. Is there a product that I can brush over the existing roof projection mastic/caulking without the hassle of removing the old mastic (9 years old)?? Dicor or Henry's 885?? Would it stick to the old? Anybody have any luck doing that? I have an EPDM rubber roof.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year
5 REPLIES 5

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could also use Eternabond tape as long as the tape covers tho old calk and goes to non-calk area you are good. Will last for years.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I used This Sealer to stop leaks on my house flat roof and on my camper as well.
Have good pressure washer, what helps a lot on camper (could not hoist 150 lb machine on the roof, when hose was too short) and I really love the results.
House coating is on its 2nd winter and looks good.
The coat I put last summer on my camper develop some cracks over soft caulking, so I had to redo it. Good part I had damage on front of the camper and coated whole front, what with white sealer makes good look.
PO of my camper put ethernabond tape over damages and that lead to disaster when tape was funneling water into gaps.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
I agree with all of above, but will just add to snug the AC bolts, you don't want to over tighten and crush the gasket too much.

Jerry

Snug is a better term then tighten for the bolts...
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with all of above, but will just add to snug the AC bolts, you don't want to over tighten and crush the gasket too much.

Jerry

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of things. When was the last time you followed the annual maintenance outlined in the Winegard manual? The procedures help reduce or eliminate the leaks that may come from the handle which may have nothing to do with sealant. There are rubber parts that need lubericating with silicone spray to prevent them from drying out and leaking.

Second I once took my older mh to get the roof resealed and was told that since the roof was both old and epdm that they DONโ€™T remove old sealant as the process may damage the roof. Instead they just add new. Dicor and Cool Seal make products that may work.

Third, have you had the roof AC serviced lately to include checking the seal? There is a large seal/grommet around the bottom of the AC that may need to be adjusted by tightening the four bolts that hold the AC in place. By tightening the bolts you compress the seal assuring a good seal.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT