cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a group 31 battery?

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
My boss bought an AC Delco Voyager group 29(31) battery for his boat. It doesn't fit the boat and he has offered it to me for what he has in it, ($25, new old stock, "blem").

I currently have a group 24 Interstate that's a couple years old. I'm not having any problems and normally camp with hookups. We will be taking a long trip this summer and will spend a couple nights without power while traveling.

Can't beat the price on the new battery but I don't think I really "need" it. Is it worth the hassle to change battery box and switch over to the bigger battery? I may have to redo the mount if it's not wide enough.
18 REPLIES 18

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I got a 3/4" by 48" piece of flat steel. I bent it to fit snugly around the battery box and frame cross member. Let the ends overlap and drilled a hole through both for a lock. I'll get some pictures when its installed. $5 worth material and about 30 minutes to "secure" the battery.

I don't know if anyone would take it or not. I wouldn't be out much if I can get another for the same price. But the trouble and cost involved if it was taken while on the road is worth the extra steps.

I'll pick up a battery disconnect Monday.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, scrap batteries are bringing $10-$20. I'd take the $15 risk.

If you have your battery installed with no cutoff switch, make sure you have a battery tender on it or one of the cables removed from a terminal. The parasitic draws of the trailer will drain the battery completely within a week or two. Let that happen a few times (drain till dead) and you'll be buying another battery.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I got a lockable strap that goes around the battery case and frame member from an outfit IIRC in Utah. nice price, nice people, etc.
bumpy

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I went ahead and bought the group 31 battery and a new battery box. I knocked the snow and ice off the old box this morning and swapped it over.

I'm going to add a cut off switch and work up some kind of battery locking device in the future.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You may have enough info here to make a wise decision...

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for all the input.

To clarify, my thought is to replace the group 24 I-state with the group 31 Delco. I will not be combining 12v or converting to 6v.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
The Delco Voyager Deep cycle battery that I had a few years ago was not an AGM, gel nor was it even sealed. They were not really exceptional batteries but I suppose good enough for the right price. Today, I wouldn't waste my time with one for my rv.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"DEEP CYCLE, CALCIUM/CALCIUM BATTERY"

Is an oxymoron

Putting a calcium/calcium battery in a non calcium bank is just about as bad as sticking a starting battery in with a bunch of gelled electrolyte batteries and thinking you have "Deep Cycle". You will have each eating the other.

Calcium is good for max 20% depth of discharge with QUICKLY RESTORED charging bringing the battery back within a day. If you combine them spend an extra five bucks on Lawry's Seasoned Salt so they both taste good to each other...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Looks like a marine flooded battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IS the question "Can I put a Group 31 (or 29) in parallel with group 24's?"

If so the answer is yes you can, minor risk but this risks exists anytime you parallel batteries.

NOTE: on your Group 24's. I am told a GC-2 its in the same tray as a Group 24, (Check this first) but is a bit taller.

IF YOU HAVE THE HEADROOM, consider upgrading two 24's to two GC-2 They connect differently (Be aware of that) but again each pair of GC-2 make a single 12 volt battery 215-230 amp hours (Dependign on the speciic sub model) but that compairs to 150 for what they relace.. Replace in pairs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Delco made both types and both are sealed tighter than a you-know-what in a horsefly hatch.

Delco's regular calcium/calcium flooded battery is garbage. Slosh the battery. If you hear liquid IMHO ten dollars would be wasting money. Delco's AGM is a better battery but be advised it has .045" positive plates. That is a $25.00 battery. If flooded it is worth core value in exchange.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a new good battery for $25. why are you procrastinating?
bumpy

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
A new AGM type 31 for $25? Buy it. You can easily triple your money on it if you decide you don't need/want it.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
For $25 & if it is a "sealed" deep cycle battery, AGM or Lead Acid, buy it.

A sealed battery can be stored anywhere in your TT & be used when needed. It would make for a good back-up battery & if your current one goes south, then use the Voyager as a replacement.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74