cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slow/ No Cranking

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new to us 2002 Winnebago Adventurer. It will usually start, but it turns over more slowly than it should. After driving a hundred miles or so, it will not even turn over until it cools down for about 30 minutes. I suspect the brushes in the starter are bad, but Iโ€™m hoping for some added insight. My battery shows 12.6 volts.
20 REPLIES 20

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
If you said โ€œstarter,โ€ you were exactly right. Cranks with enthusiasm! Thank you all for your help.

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m thinking Iโ€™ll turn on the ignition and get underneath and cross the starter terminals and see if still turns over slowly. I expect it will, but am I right that if it turns as it should, it will be something back up the line? Would I need to go to the Ford dealership to get a Ford starter?

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Charley 67: I've been down your road many times and it is almost always a problem with the starter being shot or a low quality "life time" guaranteed rebuilt unit from an "xyzzy Auto Parts Store". This is, of course, assuming your battery isn't shot. Bite the bullet and buy a new quality built starter or a Ford factory rebuilt unit. Make sure, of course, that it's actually a Ford manufactured rebuilt and not some off branded thing that Ford sells. It's going to cost more but it'll be worth it. Just wanted to also say that you bought the rv used and the PO might have had starter issues previously and changed the starter and replaced it with some low quality unit.

Yep! I've seen this too many times. "Lifetime Guaranteed" whitebox rebuilt no name parts with a "lifetime" of a week or less. Oh sure, they'll gladly exchange the part for another piece of junk just like the last one. But, whose time and aggravation gets spent replacing the part, . . . . . again, and . . . . . . again. No thanks. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Chum lee

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Charley 67: I've been down your road many times and it is almost always a problem with the starter being shot or a low quality "life time" guaranteed rebuilt unit from an "xyzzy Auto Parts Store". This is, of course, assuming your battery isn't shot. Bite the bullet and buy a new quality built starter or a Ford factory rebuilt unit. Make sure , of course, that it's actually a Ford manufactured rebuilt and not some off branded thing that Ford sells.It's going to cost more but it'll be worth it.Just wanted to also say that you bought the rv used and the PO might have had starter issues previously and changed the starter and replaced it with some low quality unit.

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I will check the cranking voltage. I havenโ€™t removed all the connections and brushed them, but I have made sure they were tight, and I visually determined the wires were in good condition. It is a Ford Chassis with 68000.miles. After I do this final battery test the first of next week, if it checks out okay, I think Iโ€™ll put a new starter on.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
and 12.6 volts static is an almost dead battery.
What a stupid statement ! It is actually nearly full charge
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
covered wagon wrote:
Sometimes a starter can fail in such a way that even the jumper batteries can be depleted in short order. Best to replace the starter motor after double checking the condition of your batteries under a load test. That is the right way to test them.
Just ran into that with my old Diesel. I replaced both batteries and it still turned over very slowly. I replaced the starter and couldn't believe how fast it turned the motor over.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible that your chassis battery can have a dead/weak cell when at rest (it still generates rated voltage) and fail the voltage/current test(s) horribly when you put a load on it.

What is the battery voltage when you crank the engine? It should stay above about 9.5 volts, when cranking, if the battery is fully charged and working properly. If it drops below that, consider having the battery load tested. Auto Zone (and others) will usually do this for you for free if you can get there.

How old is the battery? Is it the correct battery (size) for the application?

Of course, as others have mentioned, cleaning all the connections is the next step if the battery maintains voltage. Look for overheated/fried wires in the starting system.

Chum lee

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rolling Condo wrote:
If you haven't. Definitely clean battery connections.

Better yet, clean ALL the connections, battery terminals, starter cable ends, starter solenoid terminals, all bright and shiny. It's a 2002, things get corroded and 12.6 volts static is an almost dead battery.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Rolling Condo wrote:

Not just the battery connections, but ALL connections between the battery and the starter ! This does mean removing the cable at the starter (AFTER removing the cable at the battery) and thoroughly cleanly all connections with a wire brush and/pr sand paper.

If you don't have a meter, buy one, even a Harbor Freight cheapy. With someone else behind the wheel, put your leads on the battery and have them start it. Record the lowest voltage. Repeat the same test when hot.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I seriously doubt that hooking up the starter after it ha been removed will prove anything.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes a starter can fail in such a way that even the jumper batteries can be depleted in short order. Best to replace the starter motor after double checking the condition of your batteries under a load test. That is the right way to test them.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a Chevy/Workhorse chassis? If so, it is probably the starter. They are notorious for cranking slow when they get hot. Replace the starter with the best starter you can find regardless of price(that's what I did) and no more problems with hot start.
If it's a Ford, I don't know if they had the same problem.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy